Slide Guitar

CanAm

Can anyone tell me about any of the following artists : Sonny Landreth, Tab Benoit, Roy Rogers & Ry Cooder?

I mentioned to a friend at work that I like the slide guitar and he recommended the above artists along with some others, Johnny Winter, Bonnie Raitt and David Lindley with whom I'm familiar.

Can anyone recommend any albums by Landreth, Benoit, Cooder or Rogers? I tend to like more uptempo slide guitar numbers, but I also like the blues. Will these artists fit the bill?

:)

Ry Coder is the king of slide guitar for me... who knows little about slide guitar. I read his name in the credits for "Sticky Fingers" and learned he also contribued to "Let it Bleed", that´s how I knew about him for the first time. He made a good album with David Lindley, mentionned in the Records review thread.

Rumor has it that Keith Richards' signature style was lifted from Ry Cooder after the sessions Ry did with the Stones.

I don't know the veracity of the rumor, but it could have some weight.

Oh, and try anything by Robert Randolph & The Family Band. They're kind of a gospel/blues/rock style, but Robert is absolutely blazing. And he plays a pedal-steel guitar, not just regular slide style.

Another similar slide/hybrid guy is Junior Brown. He's traditional country, but he plays a double guitar - regular 6 string and pedal-steel. He's pretty amazing as well.

Edited by Guest