Boston Legal

CanAm

Is there anyone else who thinks this show is one of the best on television?

Last year I was only able to catch a few episodes of this series because it seemed to bounce around all over the schedule. This year, however, I've managed to watch every episode and it has quickly become one of my two favourite T.V. shows (along with House).

The acting in the series is brilliant, particularly the performances of James Spader, Candice Bergen and, yes, William Shatner. The writing is excellent also. Last week's episode featured a story about the firm defending a man whose wife was trying to have their marriage annulled because of his infatuation with a cow, with which he had had sexual relations. In addition, Shatner's character, Denny Crane, is forced by a judge to defend a man accused of raping and killing a 13 year old girl. Crane tries every means at his disposal to get out of handling the case. He sends a subordinate to handle the case, but the judge refuses to allow it. He tries insulting the judge, but only manages to get a contempt citation. He tries to convince the defendant that it would be in his best interests to find another attorney. Finally, when the defendant tells Crane that he has AIDS and that killing the girl was probably an act of kindness, Crane pulls out a gun and shoots him in both kneecaps. When the court officers rush into the room, he drops his gun and claims he acted in self-defense.

This show manages to be funny, topical and tremendously entertaining. It's one of the few shows I make a point of watching each week. Long may it run.