David Lindley & El Rayo-X - Very Greasy

CanAm

David Lindley is perhaps best known for his work as lead guitarist for Jackson Browne. Hovever, he also recorded three albums with his own top-notch band, El Rayo-X, including Very Greasy, the subject of this review.

This album showcases Lindley's virtuosity and versatility along with his irreverent sense of humour. There simply isn't a bad song on this album.

The opening track, Gimme da' ting, is a reggae tinged toe tapper. The second track, I Just Can't Work No Longer, is a lovely ballad that features some wonderful harmony vocals by Jorge Calderon and Ray Woodbury. Other numbers include a laugh out loud version of Warren Zevon's Werewolves of London, a lively little two step called Texas Tango and a version of Do Ya' Wanna Dance? (also recorded by The Beach Boys) that features a scorching Lindley guitar solo.

On this album, Lindley plays slide guitar, electric lead and rhythm guitars, bouzouki, hawaiian and slack key guitars and keyboards. I believe he is one of the most underrated guitarists in popular music.

If you like great guitar playing, songs that make you smile and want to PARTAY, then I heartily recommend this album.

:):) :coolio:

I discovered David Lindley when he released a record with Ry Cooder... and I´d swear I saw him live many years ago... I don´t know about his band but he´s an amazing musician.. He´s been a session man behind so many artist (Dolly Parton, CSN&Y, Rod Stewart I believe? and many many others) that it seems that you´ve known him forever.