Dire Straits - Making Movies

edna

b00000ihe103lzzzzzzz7ei.jpg

Released in the fall of 1980, this is the best Dire Straits album and I know many people will agree. Their third album was a turn in the band´s style as they became somehow more energic, having less mellow songs than in the two previous albums, and they gave us a great piece of solid rock and roll.

"Tunnel of love", a perfect combination of strenght, melody and beautifull lyrics; "Romeo and Juliet", a ballad with some crescendoes and a wonderfull voice performance by Mark Knopfler, as usual; "Skateaway", a song to dance, run and jump through the city... "Expresso Love", a love song with a great guitar solo... another love ballad which caughts your heart, "Hand in hand"... "Solid Rock", a pure slice of the best rock ever... "Les boys", a cabaret tune about gays and leather...

Dire Straits were officially a trio by then: Mark Knopfler, Pick Withers on drums and John Illsey on bass. Roy Bittan, from the E Street Band, playd keyboards on the album and David Knopfler had left the band, being replaced by Hal Lindes as second guitar. Alan Clarke would play the keyboards on the live tour after the album release.

I´m sure you´ll all give your comments about this album so I won´t make the review on my own...

I forgot to say that this is one of my Top ten albums.

Edited by Guest

A magnigicent album by an amazing band. Mark Knopfler is my favourite guitarist. Although I like every song on this album, Expresso Love and Tunnel of Love are my favourites. The only Dire Straits album that I don't particularly like is Love Over Gold.

If you like Dire Straits, try listening to some of Knopfler's solo albums. The material is a little more eclectic, but the songs still feature Knopfler's stellar playing.

• 2 weeks later...

I own all of the Dire Straits albums and I have to say this ranks among the worst of their career. Granted it houses a plethora of great songs, Tunnel of Love, Romeo and Juliet, Exsresso Love, it's too 80s for me. In contrast, Direr Straits debut album ranks among one of the finest debut albums of all time. Its impeccable from begining to end. Making Movies is an album for the yuppie blues fan. If you enjoy 80s Dire Straits, check out LOVE OVER GOLD "Telegraph Road" has stellar musicianship and poigant lyricism umatched by their later efforts. Moreover, ALCHEMY live is a graet live album, check that out as well.