Great showmen(women) in concert

littlel30

I go to alot of concerts and am amazed at how performers either seem like they REALLY want to be there and are having a great time doing what they love to do and others that play/perform and basically say "Hello (your town name here)" and that is all the interaction they have with the crowd. Their performance seems mechanical.

What performers have you seen in concert that seem like they are really happy to be playing, put 110% into their performance and seem grateful to their fans for their support?

Tom Petty is INCREDIBLE in concert!! Seems like he's having a blast every show. Very cool with the crowd too.

Barry Manilow say what you will...he is the ULTIMATE ENTERTAINER! Even if you hate him, open your mind, go to a show...you will LOVE it. Always a class act with great stories and interaction with the audience. His voice is flawless after all these years and singing those great notes seems effortless.

Dolly Parton The Queen of Cute! Her stories and interaction with the crowd along with her flawless voice are enough to bring a tear to your eye.

Sammy Haggar Saw him with VH and he is the ultimate party!! He was so gracious with the crowd--everything that was thrown onstage was worn, signed, and given back to the thrower. He was having a blast and it was the coolest show to see!

The Rolling Stones, Iggy Pop, Bruce Springsteen, Melissa Etheridge, Violent Femmes... even Elton John...

I saw Bob Dylan just once and he seemed like he was really bored and in such a hurry to leave... :P some people told me he´s always like that but my brother remembers one of his concerts and told me he was really happy, he even thanked the audience and said "Wow... this must be a dream..." and he smiled... :laughing: Lou Reed is very good on stage but he doesn´t look very happy...

Roger...Roger...Roger...Roger

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers.

UNBELIEVABLE in concert. High energy ~ puts on a show that leaves you wanting more. Gives you more than you expect... I became a lifetime fan after seeing him in concert one time - and I wasn't even familiar with his music at the time. I have since memorized about all of his songs...

I will go to every concert I can possibly attend, and I'm dragging Brad into the circle, too - but he's going willingly. :grin:

Yes I agree with Tom Petty and his band...very high energy, great show, saw them a few years ago at Darien Lake

and this year Styx rocked the place, very energetic, playing song after song, using all of the stage, and getting the crowd going...REO played after Styx...REO didnt play as long as Styx did but they did put on a good show also, I think Styx had more energy and were into it a little more than REO

Elliot Murphy really enjoys his job at his shows and makes audience enjoy. He talks to the people,, tells funny stories, makes jokes...Nice Guy!

You´re so right, I had forgotten about him... I saw him a couple of times in Spain and he really enjoyed the show... besides he´s a very nice guy, I worked with him in one of his concerts (he did a show for TV) and then we went to have fun in the city with his brother, who was his manager and also Talking Head´s manager... I didn´t remember cause that was a crazy night too!!! :laughing:

A friend of mine and myself had the luck to met him before a concert in Vitoria (I´m spanish too)

and we found out he´s as nice off stage as on stage. He drank some beers with the audience before the gig and gave his autograph to my friend. He´s well beloved here in the basque country and visits our towns every year (more than once a year sometimes) I think he will be here in January, presenting his new record "Murphy Gets Muddy", wich is a tribute to the classics of Blues, I think.

So you´re Spanish? :) I´ve been living here for 30 years though I´m not Spanish... then you must know people like Eliott Murphy or Paul Collins (from "The Beat"), they love Spain and make friends wherever they go...

When was that concert in Vitoria? I met him in 1985, that´s a long time ago...

David Byrne...awesome energy and entertains with a sense of humor, too.

Chuck Berry, though he's slowed down a bit in his late 60's.

The Temptations...The original make-up.

The Cadillacs..they used the entire stage and each song was choreographed.

The Contours..frenetic, rhythmic motion.

Tina Turner (though I've never cared much for her)

The Rat Pack (especially Sinatra, Martin and Davis)

So you´re Spanish? :) I´ve been living here for 30 years though I´m not Spanish... then you must know people like Eliott Murphy or Paul Collins (from "The Beat"), they love Spain and make friends wherever they go...

When was that concert in Vitoria? I met him in 1985, that´s a long time ago...

That concert was about two years ago, but since that Elliot has honoured us with his presence some more times. I live in Bilbao and he has played here this tear too, and, as I told you, he will be here again in January.

You´ve reminded me of Paul Collins, and yes, I remember a concert with The Beat about ten years ago in a little town near Bilbao called Etxebarri. Very fine! But I haven´t heard about him lately. Does he keep recordin and touring?

I found this page . I think Paul Collins isn´t very well known... He´s very good on stage too and he makes a pretty good pop & rock. Seems "Hanging on the telephone" is one of his songs from his former band, The Nerve... I thinks he lives in Spain most of the times... in the 80s we used to say that he worked as a barman in a well known bar in Madrid.

As mentioned by a few others, Tom Petty is a great showman.

But even more so I was impressed with Lindsey Buckingham's performances during the three Fleetwood Mac concerts I attended. And I'm not just talking about his mind-blowing talent (btw, the episode of PBS' Soundstage that he did just got released on DVD, buy it now!) but the energy that man has is breathtaking and he really seems to appreciate the crowd more than the rest of the band. During his guitar solos he was kneeling down at the front of the stage and letting people touch him and his guitar and at the end of several songs he was shaking hands and signing autographs as well. And of course, the whole time he had an enormous grin on his face and just looked like he was having a blast! The same couldn't really be said for the rest of the band, but then I wasn't there to see them anways.

I have to agree with the posts about Tom Petty! I saw him a few years back and for 2 1/2 hours we were standing and singing and jammin' and Tom was just awesome, got the crowd wound up!! Of course Bruce Springsteen, The Stones, Led Zeppelin, Stevie Nicks for the Enchanted Tour...saw her twice before that and she was so stoned she forgot lyrics...not cool...Southside Johnny, he jams and talks with the crowd and you feel he is there to party with you, John Mellencamp from the early 80's...saw him for the Cuttin' Heads tour and he was very laid back...not really into being on stage like he use to be...and barely talked with the crowd. And every time I went to the BB King Blues Fest, Buddy Guy and BB were so into playin' and gettin' into the blues...loved it!!

I have heard about the legendary performances that Bruce Springsteen puts on. My friend saw him last time he was in Oz and the stadium they were in had a major blackout during the concert. To make up for it, Bruce stayed on for hours after his scheduled finish, playing just about everything. The crowd was absolutely mental for him! :thumbsup:

Bruce Springsteen is incredible on stage... but he´s also known for playing a lot, he really enjoys it so much he´s hardly less than three hours on stage... my brother told me he played once for four hours and then he was back for the encores...

I saw Leonard Cohen many times (and many years ago...) and he also loves to be in front of an audience, though it´s another kind of performance, obvioulsy. I even got bored the last time as he was constantly coming back when someone asked for more... :laughing: