The Bangles

katie_sane

I went to see The Bangles last night, at the Royal Theatre in Canberra. It was a great concert, we were about seven rows back from the front so we had really good seats, not that we stayed in them long :D

The Royal Theatre is kind of small, so we could go right up to the edge of the stage. I was surprised at the make-up of the audience though. There were a few oldies, people who would have been Bangles fans the first time round and the rest were girls around my age.

The support act was Monique Brumby, an Aussie singer. She was really good, and she did a fantastic cover of Lola by the Kinks that really got the audience going before the Bangles came on.

The Bangles sound and look fantastic. They're a really good live band. They opened with 'Hazy Shade Of Winter' which sounds even better live. They had the audience on their feet the entire night, playing their songs including: 'Going Down To Liverpool', 'In Your Room', 'Hero Takes A Fall' and 'I'll Set You Free' plus some tracks of their latest, 'Doll Revolution' as well as their mega hits, 'Manic Monday' and 'Walk Like An Egyptian', into which they injected a little 'Mrs. Robinson' by Simon & Garfunkel.

The audience was extremely rowdy and nearly screamed the house down. And I've been to a KISS concert with thousands so I know what loud screaming is. They did three encores, finishing up with 'Eternal Flame'. The audience were then sent on their way with 'Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life' from Monty Python blaring from the speakers.

I really enjoyed the concert! The Bangles talked and made jokes on stage, told us how glad they were to be touring Australia for the first time (they were booked to tour here in 1989, but split up before they got here), laughed and generally seemed to get a kick out of playing for a vocal and energetic audience. It really was a rockin' show :D :D

Who else has seen them live? Tell me what you thought of them!

I saw them in 87 at the Mann Music Center in Philly. The openers were Aussie band The Hoodoo Gurus. How's that for irony, Aussie girl? :grin:

The Mann is now called the Arts Pavillion or something like that. It's the same place I saw SRV, and then, much later, The Indigo Girls. (boy, was I ever out of place at that show!!)

Anyway, it's an outdoor venue, so the sound travels well. The Bangles were really good, sound wise. Their harmonies floated over top everything else. I think my favorite song of theirs is "Let It Go"