Which Acoustic to buy for Blues?

ImThatGuyToo

Hi all,

I am currently the proud owner of four guitars. I have a 1964 Harmony electric, with brand new guts, an 2002 Ibanez Classical Acoustic-Electric with cutaway, a 2000 Fender Dreadnought Acoustic, and a 199x Epiphone Les Paul Special with an EMG treble pickup and tune-locking machine heads. If I had to put a dollar value on all of them combined, I would say somewhere between $600 and $750. I am willing to part with ALL of them to trade them in for an acoustic. I am looking to play fingerstyle, slide blues, so I need something that will be able to play different tunings on a whim and not cause any damage to the headstock. The influences to buy this acoustic rest in Robert Johnson, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and last but not least Buddy Guy. I have found comfort only in dreadnaught shaped acoustics, but what brand name should I look at to play the blues? Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks!

A new one might be out of your budget, but the Gibson Blues King might be everything you ever wanted in an acoustic blues guitar. Google it or check the Gibson web site for details. i saw one at either Sam Ash or more likely guitar center.

As a rule I think Gibson is the finest blues guitar maker out there. They may have less expensive models too.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help... I went to the guitar store today, after scheming all night to come up with attributes that I wanted in the acoustic guitar. When I showed them to the salesperson (also, luckily, the guitar appraiser), he thought for a moment, and went back and grabbed a beautiful Martin DCX1E. It was like having my list jump off the page and come to life. There is an ebony fretboard and he said the headstock is stable for different tunings as long as I'm careful. Plus, it's a Martin! I have heard that if you play acoustic guitar and you play on a Martin, you're automatically 10% better.

Check out Lowden as well. Or a vintage Gibson Hummingbird, the greatest acoustic guitar ever made.

I tried everything - Martin, Taylor, etc. - when I was buying a good acoustic. The one I liked the most (and bought) - A Yamaha. It's the now discontinued stereo series; can't remember the model. APX10C or something like that - the top notch version of that model. I love it more than any other, save for the Hummingbird.

Hummingbirds are amazing but they're also like five grand... I just can't wait to go pick up my Martin. Do you all have a specific size acoustic that you like to play on? For me I can't seem to get into any other size than dreadnaught, probably because my first acoustic was a dreadnaught and I'm finally replacing it with another.

i met mr lowden at a geetar festival in clonakilty. he sold the company but continues to make his own handmade guitars which take about three years each! i'm nowhere near an expert when it comes to guitars, my boy would know better than me. but for the blues, i would choose martin too. some of the bigger bodied takamines are nice too although my favourite is the LTD2005. they bring out a new limited edition every year and this one is just gorgeous. it has a lovely small body which suits me because i'm only small and it has gorgeous cat-tails and seeds set into the top and fretboard. only problem, it costs $2,000 :(