What Determines a Bands Era?

Sweet Jane 61

Was in this discussion this morning with my boss...he said Cheap Trick is an 80's band...I said no they were popular when I was in high school and I graduated in '79. He said but they had big hits in the 80's. Then he said Def Leppard was a 70's band because they formed in the late 70's, but their debut album was release in 1980. Which makes them an 80's band, and they are known as one of the big bands of the 80's. So what do you think determines if the band if fromt he 60's, 70's, 80's and so on...when they formed or when their first album was released?

I would say it's based on peak years. The era a band has with the most hits is likely the era when they had the most exposure.

We consider The Beatles a 60's band, though they originally formed in the 50's, and performed (barely) into the 70's. U2 was formed in the late 70's and are still around, but their peak influence was in 1987 with "The Joshua Tree".

Then there are weird cases, like Nick Drake. He was out in the 60's, but died in 1974. Nobody really knew who he was until that VW commercial in the 90's. This kind of goes against my exposure theory, but I would still consider him a 60's guy.