Is this a fair comparison?

NewYorkMets9

Hey, this is my first post. I'm a 16 year old drummer/pianist. I listen to classic rock for the most part although I listen to some jazz, hip hop, or anything really. A good song is a good song in my eyees.

Anyway, here's my question. I was thinking about bands of the 60's vs bands of the 90's in terms of their role in popular music. Here's my analogy:

Beatles = Nirvana

Rolling Stones = Pearl Jam

The Doors = Soundgarden

Do you agree? Feel free to add on to the analogy.

Welcome to Songfacts, NYM9 :)

I'd somewhat agree with the Beatles = Nirvana analogy, both being how big they were in their relevent heydays and still are, even after the death of the "leader", but also how members of both bands went on to have very successful careers thereafter.

Rolling Stones = Pearl Jam, well I'm not the biggest Stones fan (not because I don't like them, mainly as I don't know much of them except what I hear on the radio and what I read on the boards) but I'd say the Stones would need a stronger comparison. Pearl Jam were pretty big in the 90's, but I don't know why they would be = to the Stones. I'm sure proper fans could flesh this one out better :)

The Doors = Soundgarden. This one is a little easier to imagine, although I'm not too sure what sort of comparison you could draw up. Perhaps that their music is slightly darker than what was popular at the time, but still remained rather mainstream.

For the Doors to Soundgarden, I was thinking that both bands were never on top although they were probably the most talented band at the time.

For the Stones to Pearl Jam, I was thinking that both were right behind the Beatles/Nirvana, but just never reached #1. Also, both bands seemed to be a little heavier than their counterparts.

Hi! Welcome to here! :)

In terms of their role, eh? Well, most 90s bands didn't last very long or have now faded but the Beatles, the Stones and the Doors went on and on and on... thinking up an analogy seems quite difficult. And you've only taken into account the grunge bands - I guess because that was really what dominated the 90s. How about something for the effect of Guns and Roses, Def Leppard, Metallica, R.E.M.... etc.

I think I'd equate R.E.M to the Beatles then.

Then Nirvana and Pearl Jam and their offshoots to the Rolling Stones

And Blind Melon to the Doors.

It seems hugely unbalanced but it's the best I can do right now! :D

I would say this (cool topic, by the way):

Beatles = U2

I know U2 is technically an 80's band, but so is Soundgarden. U2 isn't nearly as innovative as The Beatles, but who is? Nirvana is good, though, regarding impact and brief life.

Stones = Dave Matthews Band

In terms of relentless touring and intense following. U2 might also apply here, being the biggest rock band currently of the last 20 years.

Doors = Soundgarden

That's pretty good, actually, though I think Soundgarden was 10 times better.

I'm not a huge U2 fan, but I appreciate them. No band is more important to me than The Beatles, so I'm not going to make a light comparison. I'm speaking solely of stature and role in the industry.

I'm also not by any means a Dave Matthews fan; see above paragraph for reasoning.

Smashing Pumpkins were such a good band. Definitely try "Siamese Dream", and if you can find it, "Gish".

I think the influence Beatles and Stones had on music and on society is no way to be compared with any other bands, maybe Bob Dylan, or reggae later...

Yes but if you absolutely HAD to make a comparison and a gun was held to your head and a scary person said "60s to 90s analogies" ...