R.E.M. v Dire Straits

nobody_home

No reason other than I'm bored. I personally prefer Dire Straits for the simple reason they wrote Sultans of Swing. But even though Knopfler is a technically 'better' guitarist, and I love his playing style, I believe Peter Buck has come up with some of the most melodic tones on the guitar since George Harrison.

Actually, this was a very tough question. They are two very similar groups, when compared on the basis of songwriting talent, style, longevity, and number of hit songs. I love most of the music by both bands. But I had to vote for Dire Straits on the strength of Mark Knopfler's stellar guitar playing and the classic album, "Making Movies". REM has made a few very good albums, but none quite the caliber of this classic from 1980. These two reasons tipped the scales just slightly in favor of Dire Straits.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Yeah, I have to say Dire Straits as well. When I was a kid I gripped "Brothers in Arms" from my parents record collection and used to sit in my room under the blankets on my bed and listen to it over and over with the lights off. It was just so lush, and his voice had so much pang to it. Guitar playing was out of this world. REM were definetly an important band in the post punk 80's underground movement. But songwriting wise, I thikn Knopfler trumps them.

• 3 weeks later...