Where were you?

Sweet Jane 61

With the 25th anniversary of his death coming up on December 8th, where were you when you heard about the killing of John Lennon?

I was up watching TV when the story broke...I was like stunned...then it kicked in and I just cried...not really believing what I was hearing. I just kept flipping channels to make sure it was happening. I was in college at the time and my group of friends hung out at one girl's house the next day and just listened to Beatles and John music and talking about him and The Beatles and crying alot and getting stoned. You felt like a part of yourself was gone, that part that John touched with him music. We skipped classes for a couple of days. My Mom said it was like her generation when JFK was shot. A tragic event that effected everyone.

I was doing homework upstairs, and my brother was watching TV downstairs. We were the only two home. He came upstairs to tell me the news. I remember us just sort of looking at each other with that blank rabbit-in-the-headlights look... and then sitting down to see what else they would tell us about it on TV...

I think I told this story on SF before.

It was a Monday evening and I stopped by the 7/11 to buy the latest issue of Playboy. I can honestly say it for the article this time. It had the John Lennon Interview.

I got home and went to my room to watch Monday Night Football. I leafed through the magazine and decided to save reading the interview until the next day.

For whatever reason (tired..the game was boring) I turned off the TV and went to bed. the next morning's newpapers brought the news. I was crushed. The one person I admired more as a rock star than anybody else was gone in a tragic moment. I was zombie-like. I went to work, but couldn't work or talk about it...so i just left.

I went to the Dakota several days later and just kind of lingered with the crowd.

In truth, I never really recovered from it and it still chokes me up sometimes.

I still own that issue of Playboy, but have never been able to go back and read the interview.

Like Don I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell broke the news. I called my wife in from the other romm and we sat stunned as the details came rolling in. Our own son was 4 years old and naturally we thought of Sean. Such a sad night and week. It seems selfish to say this but it's been 25 years...imagine what he'd have created in that time.

I was four years off being born. But I remember when I was four and looking through mum's record collection, and she had a John Lennon greatest hits album. She'd put it on for me and I loved 'Happy Xmas (War Is Over)'.

John Lennon is the musician I admire and respect above all others. It is weird to think that I feel this way when I was never even alive during his life time. It is like a testament to the mark he left on the world.

I think that if I was alive at the time I would have been devastated. My uncle said he felt really angry and ripped off.

Edited by Guest

I was shooting a film in the desert in Almeria. A member of the crew came in the middle of a scene and told me one of the Beatles had been shot. She was very upset cause her daughter was my friend and she knew we were Beatles fans. I said "What Beatle? Why? Not John Lennon?" The director was shouting at me: "Come on, we´re shooting!" There was just one tv in that small town we were staying and I had to call home the day after to know what happened. Two weeks later we left Almeria and I went to London to spend Christmas with my family... and so this is Christmas?

The only explanation I ever heard dealt with Chapman's lunacy. He created a world in his screwed up head where he was Lennon. He did many things to emulate/become Lennon such as learning guitar, marrying an Asian girl, etc. For him to truly be Lennon he had to get rid of the real Lennon. Sick bastard! Isn't it a shame he didn't think to get rid of the real Chapman first?

I was 10 and had little knowledge of the Beatles, so I really wasn't affected. I probably heard it on TV or the radio.

I don't mean that to sound so callous.....it is a shame that Sean had to grow up not knowing his father and that we didn't have his talent around for longer. However, what he left behind for us to enjoy should be remembered more than the tragic way he died.