Genesis Reunion?

Sweet Jane 61

Collins: Genesis reunion ‘a possibility’

Former lead singer says he'd even let Peter Gabriel be the frontman!

JERUSALEM - Will there be a Genesis reunion? Singer Phil Collins says he’s open to the idea.

Nothing has been announced, but Collins says a reunion is “a possibility.†He also says he’s willing to let Peter Gabriel be the lead singer. Gabriel left the band in 1975 to pursue a solo career and Collins became the frontman. He went solo in 1996.

Collins says he remains in touch with the former Genesis members, adding they’re all “still good friends.†He says if the reunion doesn’t happen it’ll be because of scheduling conflicts, not because the group doesn’t want to get together again.

Collins is in Israel as part of a Middle Eastern tour

Update....

For years, Peter Gabriel has been the lone hold out in a potential Genesis reunion. But now, Gabriel tells Rolling Stone that a reunion may be imminent. "The odds [of a Genesis reunion] are better now than before," Gabriel said. "We're going to have the conversation."

Aside from a one-off concert in 1982, Gabriel has not stood on stage with the classic five-man lineup of Genesis since the Lamb Lies Down On Broadway tour ended in May of 1975. The band finally called it quits in 1998. "When we got back together in 1982, I don't think we rehearsed," Gabriel said. "To really do it properly, we'd have to take more time. It's quite a commitment."

Phil Collins recently expressed his desire to reunite the band at a Tel Aviv press conference. "I'm happy to sit behind the drums and let Peter [Gabriel] be the singer," Collins said. And just last month, guitarist Steve Hackett told the Chicago Sun-Times that he received a phone call from Genesis management. "There's a movement to put us all together again," he said. "I do think it will happen."

"I'm happy to sit behind the drums and let Peter [Gabriel] be the singer," Collins said.

Translated: "I haven't had a fresh idea in 25 years, even my free ride doing bland, uninspired Disney soundtracks for the last 15 years has become a struggle for my musically stunted mind, so I want to cash in on that last big payday without really having to do anything but sit on my fat, uninspired a$$ while that 'Shock the Monkey' guy does all the work."