Neil Young - A man needs a maid

edna

040409snodgrasshmed0dg.jpg

Neil Young met Carrie Snodgress in 1971, after seeing the movie "Diary of a Mad Housekeeper". She was nominated for an Oscar (1970) and by the same time fell in love with Neil Young and both went to live together to a ranch in California.

Neil young wrote "A man needs a maid" for her (a specific line reffers to his love affair: "I fell in love with the actress, she was playing a part that I could understand"). She said "I fell in love with Neil´s pain", as he was recovering from back injuries. Soon later they had their son Zeke, suffering from cerebral palsy.

Neil Young also mentions her in the credits of "Motion Pictures" (On the Beach) and in the lines : "And I´ll stand before you, and I´ll bring a smile, to your eyes".

Carrie also appears in "Journey Through the Past", a movie by Neil Young.

Ther were separated by late seventies. She didn´t work for eight years and in 1978 she had a role in "The Fury" (Brian De Palma). Carrie Snodgress started a hard relationship with Jack Nitzche which ended in 1979.

She died at 57 in April 2004.

I found this information in the web and I see there´s also a Songfact about this but I thought it would be good to put a face to the actress...