Dance Like No One Is Watching

Carl

Lately, I'm discovering that many people are unhappy with their lot in life. It seems like a rare occasion when I find someone who genuinely gets it and is comfortable in their own skin. One of these people explained that most of us just can't be happy with what we have. I had a new experience last night, and I'm not sure if there is a lesson here or if my brain chemicals were out of balance, but here's what happened.

I picked up my friends E and G to attend a surprise birthday party for one of our pals. It started at 6, and we had a good time hanging out with the gathering until it ended at 9, when everyone filed out. I thought it would be fun to hang out for a drink, so E and G indulged me. We had a good time, but it was getting late and I figured they would want to be getting home soon, since that's what married couples do. They remembered how I mentioned a Karaoke place nearby and said it might be fun. Most of my friends would be too self-consious to enjoy this place, and I figured E and G would want to leave almost as soon as we walked in, since it is a total dive with a mix of humanity that resembles the Cantina bar from Star Wars.

We walked in, paid our $5 covers, and squeezed every bit of fun out of the place until it closed. E and G have this wonderful habit of spontaneously dancing. They don't have to wait for the right song or even ask each other - they just dance when they feel like it. E sang the Van Halen version of "You Really Got Me" and gave a great performance, complete with stage moves and air guitar. G took pictures because she was proud of him. The girls at the table near the dance floor who had been freezing guys out all night dropped their bitch shields and started cheering wildly. For the rest of the night we danced like no one was watching. I could feel the people in the bar, who all looked like they were missing something, envy us. We danced with strangers, we danced with each other. We enjoyed the good singers and the bad. I chest-bumped a 5' 2" Filipino guy after he belted out a sweet rendition of "My Way." He told us where the local Filipino Karaoke hang out was and said we should come.

We'd all like to believe that we just don't care what other people think, but E and G are the only people I know who truly live it (one of the traits of people who don't care what everyone else thinks is that they don't make a point to tell you they don't care what everyone else thinks).

E and G are vegans and don't drink. Every other guy in the place needed some combination of alcohol, nicotine or attitude to have a good time, and even then only the most daring could work up the courage to sing or dance. While they would spend their time plotting their next move, we let the spirit move us. It was a liberating feeling that requires a confidence in yourself that I one day hope to attain.

I wish you guys could see me. I'm 49 years old. I dance. I dance at bars, Karaoke,(no singing) concerts, the grocery store, elevators. everything. I can't hear music without moving. Maybe just a litte, but still..

If I'm somewhere that there is supposed to be dancing, but no one is, leave it to me. I'll grab a man or woman I know(I'm not that particular about who I dance with)that I nkow, that knows how I am. I'll have someone dancing, and I will manage to dance most of the night. It's my freedom, and I don't give a rats *ss what anyone else thinks. Course it helps that I can actually dance!

Course it helps that I can actually dance!

That´s why things are getting softer for you, CeeCee, and will get really better!!! Cause you love to be happy and it shows... ;) They´ll all want to dance with you sooner or later!!! :bow:

The other day somebody asked if I could dance tango. He thought that being born in Argentina I should know how to tango... :laughing: :laughing: Of course I cannot dance tango, I didn´ t even try... :shades: But we make disco-parties at home sometimes and we dance 60s and 70s style. I won a twist contest when I was a kid... :laughing:

If I'm somewhere that there is supposed to be dancing, but no one is, leave it to me. I'll grab a man or woman I know(I'm not that particular about who I dance with)that I nkow, that knows how I am. I'll have someone dancing, and I will manage to dance most of the night. It's my freedom, and I don't give a rats *ss what anyone else thinks. Course it helps that I can actually dance!

:laughing: You are exactly the type of woman I try to hide in the corners from at weddings ! :grin: Glad you have fun , though , and I now can kind of see your reasoning -- I used to think it was just to embarrass guys like me .

My daughter has the "hold on to the coffee table and shake your tush", the "run in circles" and the "bounce in place while swinging your arms"

She now can "request" dances. We'll be playing and she'll come up to me and say "Pokey", which means she wants to do the hokey pokey, or "hop", which means she wants to do the Kangaroo hop (a dance from her Winnie the Pooh video). Wait until she's old enough for me to show her my '80's moves!!!!!

:laughing: You are exactly the type of woman I try to hide in the corners from at weddings ! :grin: Glad you have fun , though , and I now can kind of see your reasoning -- I used to think it was just to embarrass guys like me .

Kevin sweetie...now you know me. I would never want to embarras you, or anyone else. Who cares if you think you can or can't dance? Who cares if you truly can't? It's the getting out there and forgetting everyone else, and having fun. Just let me get hold of you....you'd love it, believe it or not. And you'd actually be dancing!

Jenny, I love you. Motherhood is amazing, isn't it?

My daughter has the "hold on to the coffee table and shake your tush", the "run in circles" and the "bounce in place while swinging your arms"

My husband and I donkey laughed for a full 15 minutes last night watching Ally spin in circles and fall over like an old drunk. It doesn't take much nowadays to amuse us.

She now can "request" dances. We'll be playing and she'll come up to me and say "Pokey", which means she wants to do the hokey pokey, or "hop", which means she wants to do the Kangaroo hop (a dance from her Winnie the Pooh video).

We get "ashes" a lot. As in "Ring around the rosies". I'm glad I have plenty of posterior padding from all the falling down I do.

Wait until she's old enough for me to show her my '80's moves!!!!!

There's nothing more beautiful than seeing a toddler do the moonwalk. :grin:

We get "ashes" a lot. As in "Ring around the rosies". I'm glad I have plenty of posterior padding from all the falling down I do.

I forgot about that one....she asks for that one, too, and God forbid I cheat and sing it while sitting on the floor, she tells me "get up"