Essential Albums

Levis

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mustn't admit any such thing! As for your assertion that I can't have a CD collection sans the Beatles, Stones or Led Zep, erm.... "Can and Have", so there!

I thought I might have overstepped the mark earlier, using words like "elitist" and "anal-retentive", but you're making me agree with myself again. There are no "standards" that every self-respecting music-buff should have. That's just...guff. I have a vast and reasonably diverse collection of vinyl, tapes and CDs. I'm seldom short of something to listen to, whatever suits my mood at the time. I honestly don't think my collection suffers for its lack of Beatles, Stones, Meatloaf, U2, the Doors. Quite the contrary. (If I ever feel the need to have Led Zep in there, I'll ask my older brother to help me out. But that day ain't on the horizon.)

Don't get me wrong: I'm as anal-retentive as the next guy (especially if the next guy happens to be johnnyguitar) I do have history of procuring as much as I can by certain artists I'm "into" (eg.The Auteurs, PJ Harvey, Eels, Rudimentary Peni, etc), storing my collection in alphabetical order, etc. But my collection is not designed to be impressive to you or anyone else.

Getting stuff just because of public consensus often results in disappointment / annoyance. Moby's "Play"? The most omnipresent album in the world at one time. Bought it because I needed "dinner-party music". Rubbish. How many people have bought the "Mercury Music Prize-Winner" only to find that it is less than fantastic? You get my point?

I did say "I could go on ...", didn't I ? And that's what I could've gone on to say.

I'm not sufficiently into hip-hop to presume to tell others what's "essential", though Public Enemy's "It Takes A Nation of Millions" and "Fear of a Black Planet" are both incendiary. (Mind you,it's the aggression / agitation that puts alot of people off the genre). At the other end of the spectrum, De La Soul's "3ft High and Rising" is both inventive and accessible.

While I'm here, and since Reggae and Dub has also been cruelly overlooked in this thread, I'd like to recommend these:

Lee "Scratch" Perry- "Arkology" (3CD set), and

Peter Tosh- The Best of...

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

The Auteurs, PJ Harvey, Eels, Rudimentary Peni ???

Come on Blind-fitter ! You made them up.

And what exactly is Dub ? I dig de rasta music mon. Your posts remind me of a reggae song I really like - Stir It Up, which is what I think you've tried to do.

And I've never really understood the term "anal - retentive".

Does it mean one is constipated?

Give me any (except junk movie sountracks) Elvis + Roy Orbison, Beatles, Stones, Queen and I'd be happy. I have many, many other favourites too.

Let me say that I'm always a little surprised at the good taste that young people like Batman, Levis, Katie, Etc display. You kids really know your music.

;)

The Auteurs, PJ Harvey, Eels, Rudimentary Peni ???

Come on Blind-fitter ! You made them up.

I'll take your points one at a time, if I may...

Let me assure you that each of these "artists" is absolutely genuine.

The Auteurs are / were a band formed in the UK in the early 90s, contemporaries of Suede and Pulp (pre the BritPop explosion) but never destined to achieve a similar degree of commercial success and fame. The Auteurs were fronted by a chap called Luke Haines, who has also recorded under his own name, as well as in different guises / offshoot projects. Because of the latter feature, it is quite hard to keep track of the Auteurs / Luke Haines discography. For more details, try the websites below.

http://deeden.co.uk/auteurs/

http://www.lukehaines.net/

If I had to single out any of their albums for recommendation, I would plump for "New Wave" (their first), although their second "Now I'm A Cowboy" is also excellent. A later album "After Murder Park" appeals to me, but is much darker in mood and generally harsher than its predecessors, so probably less accessible to the uninitiated.

A splendid addition to the Auteurs / Haines canon is "Das Capital: the songwriting genius of Luke Haines And The Auteurs" in which Mr Haines (a classically-trained musician) brings together favourites from their "oeuvre" and re-arranges them for orchestral treatment. A joy to behold!

I believe that more recently a triple CD collection of "The Best of Luke Haines and The auteurs" has been released, which I may find in my Christmas stocking. Who knows?

Eels: earlier this year Eels released their 6th album, (a "double") entitled "Blinking Lights and Other Revelations", to enormous critical acclaim all round. It has been described as "a masterpiece", "superb" and ,according to Uncut magazine, confirms singer / songwriter Mark Everett ("E") as "among Americas greats". In case it adds some kudos to "the hype", this album features guest performance from Tom Waits and Peter Buck from REM. I'm sure these guys don't trifle with any old dross... Everett is a man who has wrestled with mental health problems for years, and much of this album seems to reflect upon a series of family bereavements, so might be quite heavy going for some.However, he writes wonderful, moving songs.

Previous Eels albums, whilst frequently referencing Everett's mental health issues, are also characterised by his rather wry wit. He is probably a genius, who will be truly appreciated one day. Of their previous works, I would probably recommend these two albums "Daisies of the Galaxy" and "Souljacker", though in truth, they're all commendable. For more info:

fhttp://www.eelstheband.com/

As for PJ Harvey: I would be surprised to hear her described as an "unknown". Her most recent album "Uh-Huh Her" was her seventh. Her previous one, "Stories from the City, Sories from the Sea" (released in 2000) was awarded the "Mercury Music Prize".

I first encountered PJ Harvey around 1991/92,when my band played a gig with hers. They were utterly fantastic, and I've followed her progress ever since. I'm not sure how you would sum her up. Several reviews have her as a "modern-day Patti Smith figure" (I can see the comparison) or as a "female equivalent of Nick Cave" (there was a spell when that might have applied: also she has collaborated with Nick Cave, and had a "dalliance" with him that left him stunned and heartbroken, apparently) Whatever, she (Polly Jean)is a very talented and unique singer / songwriter, she and her band totally compelling performers. For more info, the official site....

http://www.pjharvey.net/

...and a "fan-site"...

http://www.pollyharvey.co.uk/

And finally, Rudimentary Peni: a favourite band of mine for over 20 years now (and still occasionally recording / releasing new stuff) Emerging from the early 80s UK anarchist punk scene, Peni were totally different to all other bands of that ilk, and remained resolutely so. I would struggle to describe them to anyone, but especially if my reference points were also alien to you..Early EPs, crammed with short burst of manic frenzy, anger and just plain weirdness.First LP "Death Church" slowed down the pace considerably, but not the sense of other-wordly, weirdness. I think even if you imagined early Black Sabbath fronted by a hoarse, rasping demented wretch giving voice to his worst nightmares, you'd only be halfway there...But somehow they sounded fantastic. It later emerged that their vocalist/guitarist/writer/graphicist Nick Blinko, was tormented by mental illness. Their next album (their masterpiece), entitled "Cacophony" was a concept album of sorts, based on the life and works of horror writer H.P. Lovecraft. Subsequent works by the band have perhaps not lived up to the majestic excellence of their earlier stuff, although it is still periodically inspired. I would hesitate to recommend Rudimentary Peni stuff to others. As you may have gathered, it is possibly "an acquired taste". But for more info....

http://www.southern.com/southern/band/RPENI/

And what exactly is Dub ? I dig de rasta music mon. Your posts remind me of a reggae song I really like - Stir It Up, which is what I think you've tried to do.

Dub is a form of Jamaican music, which evolved out of ska and reggae in 1970s Jamaica. The dub reggae sound includes adding extensive echo and reverb effects to an existing music piece, sometimes accompanied by snatches of the lyrics from the original version.

Dub is characterized as a "version" of an existing song, typically emphasizing the drums and bass for a sound popular in local Sound Systems. The instrumental tracks are typically drenched in sound processing effects such as echo, reverb, part vocal and extra percussion, with most of the lead instruments and vocals dropping in and out of the mix.

Cheating, I got this efinition of "Dub" from Wikipedia: for an extended explanation / links, go to:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dub_music

Some of the top exponents from the classic era of this genre include: Lee "Scratch" Perry, King Tubby, Prince Far-I, Jah Shaka,, Mikey Dread

More recently: "Mad Professor"

Since the heyday of Dub, its techniques have been applied to all manner of music, by all manner of artists.

I never really meant to "stir it up" at all: when I first visited the site, on this thread, I was kind of irritated by an apparent lack of recognition that punk / post-punk music may have thrown up some "seminal works" worthy of acknowledgement, and of the significance of particularly reggae / Dub techniques in the development of rock music.

And I've never really understood the term "anal - retentive".

:laughing:

The expression anal retentive derives from psychoanalytic theory. Sigmund Freud theorized that after birth, a person progresses through a series of stages that, in a healthy individual, would reach an adult state of low anxiety, mental stability, the ability to interact with others, the ability to have a sexual relationship, etc. Freud's stages of normal psychosexual development were the oral stage, in which the mouth is the object of gratification; the anal stage, when the anus is the object, and the child is concerned with the retention or expulsion of feces; the phallic stage, when the child shifts its attention to the genitals, but not in an adult, heterosexual way; and the genital stage, when a person seeks gratification in a sexual relationship with another person.

The interruption of any of these stages results in a fixation, which would have various consequences on an adult. A person interrupted at the late stage of the anal development is an anal retentive, and this is thought to result in adult personality or behavioral traits that include orderliness, rigidity, obstinacy, obsession with rules, meticulousness, and ungenerousness. The adjective anal alone denotes this stage, and hence denotes these traits. Despite its origin in psychoanalytic theory, anal is now in broad use, and is sometimes even considered to be a slang term. Example: "I've got to see a picture exactly from the start to the finish, 'cause I'm anal" (Woody Allen, Annie Hall).

The word anal is first found in English in a 1930 psychoanalytic text; anal retentive appears by the late 1950s.

Arguably, my completion of this reply to you confirms my admission earlier in this thread that "I am as anal-retentive as the next guy (especially if that guy is johnnyguitar)"

(there ought to be a smiley who doffs his cap...)

Anyway, hope this has been of some help. Cheerio and toodle-pip, old bean ;)

PJ Harvey is definitely not an unknown artist, she is very famous, but i'm sure if i asked my mom, she would have no idea what i'm talking about. so it's not surprising that someone who doesn't follow the new(er) music scene doesn't know her.

the eels were quite popular in the late 90s

i haven't heard of the other two bands

I found that really interesting, blind-fitter.

I was joking about "anal retentive". I know Freud's ideas on that one. I hate the expression, as it seems to be used for anyone who is well organized without going right overboard - then it can become O.C.D.

I have my CDs in Artist alphabetical order too, and I'd get cranky if anyone messed them up. I prefer to think of myself as a fussy bugger rather than "anal".

HERE'S A - C Fairly diverse ? Mainly "Greatest Hits" collections, many of the tracks I had on vinyl 45 RPM singles. Nothing much after the 70s (except Cher, and yes, I love "Believe" much to the disgust of my family).

I hope you find it interesting to see what an old guy has in his CD Collection.

Abba Gold

Badfinger Best Of

Beach Boys Summer Dreams, The Capitol Years Collection Box Set, Christmas Album

Beatles The Beatles Box, 1962-66, 1967-70

Bee Gees Very Best Of, Alone (CD Single)

Harry Belafonte Most Requested

Chuck Berry Greatest Hits

Blue Mink Best Of

Boney M Gold

Bread Essentials

Bacharach The Rare, The Look Of Love - Various Artists

Glen Campbell 20 Golden Greats

Mariah Carey Daydream (A Gift. Most of her songs sound the same to me.)

Carpenters Their Greatest Hits

Johnny Cash The Man In Black

Ray Charles 20 Golden Greats

Cher Very Best Of

Chicago 25 Years Of Gold

Dave Clark Five Glad All Over Again

Petula Clark The Legendary

Nat King Cole Essential

Natalie Cole Stardust (Bought it cheap, mainly for the duet with her Dad)

Perry Como Hit Singles 1952-1957, Golden Records

Sam Cooke Most Requested

Creedence Clearwater Revival Ultimate (and the Title says it all).

:happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana: :happybanana:

Plenty of stuff I'd like there, 055.

Any collection that has "Carpenters" "Cash" and "Charles" in sequence sounds fine by me.

("I Can't Stop Loving You" by Ray Charles was my dad's favourite song, I still have it on an EP from the 60s)

Blue Mink? "(What we need is a great big) Melting Pot"!! Fantastic! A favourite from my childhood...I must go dig it out.... :thumbsup:

Look forward to hearing more about your collection!

Edited by Guest

Thanks blind-fitter. Funny how The Carpenters get left off many people's lists. I just bought the Blue Mink CD at a "cheapie" store recently. "Banner Man" is a great song too. They never really took off in the U.S.

I hope to add to the "A"s soon. I've put

"America's Greatest Hits" on my Christmas list.

Hey Diggs !!! How are you my friend ?

:)

Quote:And I've never really understood the term "anal - retentive".

The expression anal retentive derives from psychoanalytic theory. Sigmund Freud theorized that after birth, a person progresses through a series of stages that, in a healthy individual, would reach an adult state of low anxiety, mental stability, the ability to interact with others, the ability to have a sexual relationship, etc. Freud's stages of normal psychosexual development were the oral stage, in which the mouth is the object of gratification; the anal stage, when the anus is the object, and the child is concerned with the retention or expulsion of feces; the phallic stage, when the child shifts its attention to the genitals, but not in an adult, heterosexual way; and the genital stage, when a person seeks gratification in a sexual relationship with another person.

The interruption of any of these stages results in a fixation, which would have various consequences on an adult. A person interrupted at the late stage of the anal development is an anal retentive, and this is thought to result in adult personality or behavioral traits that include orderliness, rigidity, obstinacy, obsession with rules, meticulousness, and ungenerousness. The adjective anal alone denotes this stage, and hence denotes these traits. Despite its origin in psychoanalytic theory, anal is now in broad use, and is sometimes even considered to be a slang term. Example: "I've got to see a picture exactly from the start to the finish, 'cause I'm anal" (Woody Allen, Annie Hall).

The word anal is first found in English in a 1930 psychoanalytic text; anal retentive appears by the late 1950s.

That would be a 'yes' then? ;)

johnny, I'm flattered that you think that explanation about "anal-retentive" might have been all my own work, rather than a simple "cut and paste" job.

If you'd read it closely enough (or at all?), you might have noticed that I had the decency to admit to a degree of "anal-retentiveness", so there's really no need for you to rub it in (Oooh...err! Titter ye not..)

But as it happens I do get constipation, and the attendant anguish of the old Chalfonts. Make something amusing out of that, if it makes you happy.