"Hotel California" ~ The Eagles

"Tower Of Strength" ~ The Mission

"Headlines & Deadlines" ~ AHA

"Eliminator" ~ ZZ Top

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Beatle Albums...while they were together..

All Zepelin Albums

Dark Side of The Moon ~ Floyd

Pearl ~ Janis

Jonny Lang ~ Lie To Me

Stevie Nicks ~ BellaDonna

Born To Run ~ Bruce Springsteen

The Rising ~ Bruce Springsteen

Saxuality ~ Candy Dufler

John Cougar ~ John Cougar

The Dance ~ Fleetwood Mac

The Best of Billie Holiday ~ Billie Holiday

Stylistics Greats Hits ~ The Stylistics

Al Green Greatest Hits ~ Al Green

Tapestry ~ Carole King

Y'know, I'm not sure about this thread at all. "Essential albums one must have in ones collection"? How about "the ones you like"? It seems a bit ..ummm...anal-retentive and possibly elitist to me. But hey ho! Can't help but notice that this particular forum seems to be populated by folks for whom punk rock never happened (or maybe they "tried it,didn't like it"?). Now, I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the UK, whether you like it or not, punk effected a revolution that impacted on the way (virtually all) music & art was subsequently approached, by changing the landscape and the "rules of engagement". This effect was felt across the board really: didn't just touch punk / new-wave / rock / indie, etc. but also mainstream pop, funk, dance/techno, electronica, avant-garde,...yes,even jazz. (Its not just me that thinks that:there are some excellent books out there on the subject...)

Might I therefore suggest to those who feel the need to complete their collections with "significant albums" (regardless of whether they like them or not) the following:

"Never Mind the Bollocks" - Sex Pistols

"London Calling" - The Clash

"Entertainment!" - Gang of Four

"Killing Joke" - Killing Joke

"Daydream Nation" - Sonic Youth

"Atomiser" - Big Black

"Zen Arcade" - Husker Du

"Nevermind" - Nirvana

I could go on, but....life's too short.

Incidentally, though, the very idea that my collection ought to include some album of U2. Woooaaargh! I'd sooner sever my own testicles and eat them, (raw and whole)

Edited by Guest

Can't help but notice that this particular forum seems to be populated by folks for whom punk rock never happened (or maybe they "tried it,didn't like it"?).

Jumping the gun a bit aren't we? Search the forums for punk and see what you find. There are a lot of fans here.

And I believe I included several Ramones albums on my list. Others did too.

Y'know, I'm not sure about this thread at all. "Essential albums one must have in ones collection"? How about "the ones you like"? It seems a bit ..ummm...anal-retentive and possibly elitist to me

I understand it's a subjective topic, but ou ust admit that there are some almost universally agreed upon albums/songs that everyone needs to know. You can't have a CD collection sans the Beatles or the Stones or Led Zeppelin. They're standards. And since I've been here for a while now, and seen everyone here to have really really good taste, who better to ask? It's a great way to get a feel of different kinds of artists. And now I've got a few punk albums to add too :)

If I'm a part of the boards, I may as well put them to use! :D

Well, blind-fitter, no one has put any hip-hop albums on here, either. It just so happens that most of us on the boards are not hip-hop fans or don't know enough about it to recommend anything, not that we are "elitist"

I agree with you that it might be a good idea to add genres to our suggestions, so that anybody visiting the boards can add to their music collection according to their taste

Punk just happens not to be my taste, and I have listened to some....that said, I wouldn't add any album to my collection that I didn't like just because someone told me it was "important".

Edited by Guest

I also agree that this topic is very subjective...I mean, I don't own a lot of these so called "essential" albums, but I'm still a very big music fan.

before a non-Zappa fan goes out and buys a lot of random Zappa albums, here's what I think are the...

Essential Zappa Albums: (in order of essential-ness)

Hot Rats

Overnite Sensation

Freak Out!

Apostrophe (')

Weasels Ripped My Flesh

Sheik Yerbouti

Filmore East, June 1971

I seem to have reached a venerable age and a pretty impressive collection of albums covering a fairly wide selection of music from Aqualung to Zappa....and I haven't got any Beatles, nor have I ever felt the need. Maybe it's because I heard them all the time on the radio and TV and all the tunes are so familiar (I can even play some of them on the guitar without owning a copy)that I don't need to have the albums. I've got no Abba either :o

Strange though, I've got two Monkees albums. :)

I'd add 'Ship Arrives too Late to Save a Drowning Witch to the Zappa list above (all of which I've got) and I'm with blind-fitter on the U2 axis, I'd rather chew my own foot off. Same goes for Coldplay....but I've said all that on different threads.

I've got no Beach Boys either, now I think about it...does that make me a bad man :(

The reason I started the thread is because here, international music doesn't have a very strong base. And it's not that easy to get hold of CDs too. And I'm definitely not going to go and buy every single CD mentioned here (How rich do you think I am? :P ). But everyone likes the music they've mentioned for a reason and I'd like to try it out, see if I like it too and then perhaps go into more detail from there. :)

Just for the record, I don't own a Beatles or Led Zep CD (I've only listened to them, never bought), and I only own the '50 Licks' CD by the Stones....

...and I love my CD collection! :rockon: It's no less of a fabulous collection just because I don't own Beatles or Zep :P

Maybe we should start a thread about records we DON´T have...

Great idea......now, where do we start? Maybe we should admit some of the albums that we have, but aren't sure why, just to balance it up.. :blush:

I don't have any Coldplay, U2, Keane...but forgawdsake...I do have Anthony and The Johnsons (and it sucks chunks)