What is a hook line?

Yoda

Hi!

Maybe you guys can help me with this. Recently I've heard the term "hook" or "hook line" in a discussion of music. First of all, what is it? Second, can someone please give an example of a hook or hook line in a song?

Thank You,

Jessica

The 'hook', is the part of the song that sticks in your head. LOL. That's the best way I know how to explain it. The refrain, or line, or whatever, that draws you to the song, I suppose. I'm not sure it's always lyrics, either. I suppose it can be a guitar riff, as well. Or drums, or keyboards, who's to say.

For instance, if I say "Satisfaction", the first thing you think of, is the guitar riff in the beginning. That's the hook.

Maybe someone else can explain it better. :P

Ub40'S "Red Red Wine" is a fine example of a hook-y song. I think the hook is the melody that keeps playing in your head. Rap artists usually 'steal' the hook, a la Vanilla Ice stole Queen's "Under Pressure" hook, and then later Puff Daddy, or P. Diddy, or whatever Sean Combs calls hisself these days stole The Police's "I'll be watching you" hook. MC Hammer grabbed Rick James hook for U Can't Touch This (which was Rick James "Superfreak" hook).

Ken.

Ub40'S "Red Red Wine" is a fine example of a hook-y song. I think the hook is the melody that keeps playing in your head. Rap artists usually 'steal' the hook, a la Vanilla Ice stole Queen's "Under Pressure" hook, and then later Puff Daddy, or P. Diddy, or whatever Sean Combs calls hisself these days stole The Police's "I'll be watching you" hook. MC Hammer grabbed Rick James hook for U Can't Touch This (which was Rick James "Superfreak" hook).

Ken.

... and ,unfortunately , most of these hooks and others, are also attached to lines and sinkers, reeling in suckers who give big dough to artists too lazy or uninspired to 'bait' their own hooks . ;)