Abuela (spanish grammy)

RonJonSurfer

Rocker Juanes Wins 3 Latin Grammy Awards By ALEX VEIGA,

LOS ANGELES - Colombian rocker Juanes won three awards and Spanish crooner Alejandro Sanz won two at Thursday's revamped Latin Grammys, which were broadcast in Spanish for the first time and showcased an expanding range of genres.

Juanes, a Latin Grammys favorite who dominated the awards in 2003 with five trophies and had nine coming into Thursday's show, collected honors for best rock song, "Nada Valgo Sin Tu Amor," best music video for "Volverte a Ver," and best rock solo vocal for "Mi Sangre."

"This is a dream night," Juanes said after collecting the rock solo vocal trophy. "To all the fans in Colombia, I love you and thank you very much."

Sanz, who won four trophies at last year's award show, picked up the song of the year and the record of the year awards for "Tu No Tienes Alma."

"It is embarrassing to collect this prize because I think that all those who were nominated deserve it more than I do, and many who weren't nominated," Sanz said while accepting the record of the year honor. "I dedicate it to all of them who inspired me to do music. Thank you so much."

Brazilian singer-keyboardist Ivan Lins won album of the year for "Cantando Historias."

Spanish alternative singer-songwriter Bebe had a leading five nominations but took home only one Grammy, for best new artist.

"I didn't expect it. That's the truth," said the native of Valencia, Spain, who was also nominated for album of the year for "Pafuera Telaranas" and record of the year and song of the year for "Malo."

Italian vocalist Laura Pausini pulled off one of the night's biggest upsets when she beat out Bebe for the best female pop vocal Grammy.

"Thank you so much. I haven't prepared anything because I thought that Bebe was going to win," she said, her voice breaking. "I don't have the list of who to thank because it's at home."

The award was Pausini's first Latin Grammy.

Dominican merengue and salsa music master Juan Luis Guerra collected two trophies: best Christian album and best tropical song for "Las Avispas."

"I want to dedicate my award to my wife and children ... and all the fans of (his band) 440 and of my beloved Dominican Republic," Guerra said.

Puerto Rican singer Obie Bermudez, who earned the Latin Grammy for best male pop artist, let loose with a yell and held his award up in jubilation

"Nothing is impossible. I am happy, really happy. I swear I was not prepared for this," he said, dedicating his award to his father. "I want to give my thanks to God."

The Tex-Mex group Intocable won the award for best Norteno album for "Diez."

Mexican heartthrob Alejandro Fernandez kicked off the live Univision Network telecast from the Shrine Auditorium performing "Canta Corazon" with a virtual waterfall as a backdrop. The singer was nominated for best male pop vocal album for "A Corazon Abierto."

The broadcast showcased an expanding range of genres, including pop, salsa, reggaeton and rock.

The broad range of performers nominated reflects the changing face of Latin music, which until recent years had been dominated by traditional ballads, pop songs and regional dance music.

The explosion of reggaeton in particular was palpable at this year's awards. Puerto Rican Don Omar strutted on stage wearing a boxer's robe to perform a reggaeton medley that brought the audience to its feet.

At the forefront of the reggaeton movement is Tego Calderon, who was at a loss to describe why the mix of salsa and hip-hop, Afro-Caribbean rhythms and reggae is so popular.

"I don't know how long it's going to last. Only the Lord knows. I definitely know what's happening now," he said.

In awards presented before the telecast, Mexican rockers Molotov collected the best rock album by a group or duo.

Los Angeles-based alternative rockers Ozomatli picked up the alternative music album award for "Street Signs," and pop star Marc Anthony's album "Valio La Pena" earned the singer the best salsa album award.

Mexican singer Luis Miguel, known best for sultry ballads, picked up the Ranchero album prize for "Mexico En La Piel."

Puerto Rican-born Elvis Crespo took home the best merengue album award for "Saborealo."

Model and TV personality Rebecca de Alba and actor Eduardo Santamarina co-hosted the show, which included English-language captions for non-Spanish speakers watching at home.

Jiro Yamaguchi with Ozomatli said he was glad to see the show on Univision. "We get more exposure to crowds we don't normally play in front of," he said.

Gustavo Santaolalla, who won producer of the year, said he hoped the English-speaking audience would tune into the show.

"Music is the universal language," he said.