John Lennon's Honor!

Uncle Joe

This note comes via Andre Gardner, Station WMGK in Philadelphia's resident Beatles expert.

In case you didn't hear, Channel Four in Britain is planning on showing an interview with Mark David Chapman, the man who murdered John Lennon. The appalling thing about this is that they plan to air the interview on December 8th, the 25th anniversary of his killing. To say that this defiles John's memory is an understatement. Below is a link to an online petition that you can sign (anonymously) and it will be sent to Channel Four in England to protest this action. Thanks to Sarajane Sein for creating this petition.

Here's the site: Save John Lennon's Honor!

this is all i could find , they don't have anything on their website.

this is from c4 international

"To mark the 25th anniversary of John Lennon's death, this film exclusively tells the story of the legendary singer’s assassination – in the words of his killer Mark David Chapman. The documentary reveals a series of taped interviews that Chapman conducted with journalist Jack Jones in prison, while dramatically reconstructing key events from the day of the killing.

Using these audio tapes as the central element, the programme will recreate one of the most notorious assassinations of the twentieth century.

Beginning with the assassination the programme presents Chapman’s own view of his life, and the events that drove him to commit such a dramatic murder. Running alongside Chapman’s story will be the parallel biography of John Lennon – represented using archive material and supporting interviews."

Easy with the eggs and tomatoes , but I would be curious to hear just what he thought was in his mind at that time . Without hearing his side of it , repugnant or not , makes Lennon's death all the more senseless and meaningless . I would hope , however , that it is a voluntary explanation , and not for personal profit ( if there are proceeds then they should go to to a charity related to Lennon or something he supported , etc. ... ) . Honestly ; Kennedy's murder is all the more disturbing , IMO , as we never got to hear enough from Oswald .

• 2 weeks later...

(www.bbc.co.uk/news)

Tapes of Lennon's killer to air

Mark Chapman

Chapman had Lennon autograph an album shortly before his death

Newly released audio tapes of interviews with John Lennon's assassin reveal Mark Chapman's self-confessed "compulsion" to kill the former Beatle.

"It was like a train, a runaway train, there was no stopping it," Chapman told interviewers in a New York prison more than a decade ago.

Channel 4 and US broadcaster NBC plan to air excerpts of the tapes for the 25th anniversary of Lennon's death.

The singer was shot by Chapman in New York on 8 December 1980.

Channel 4 documentary I Killed John Lennon will be broadcast in the UK next month.

The tapes were recorded in the early 1990s by journalist Jack Jones, who wrote a book about Chapman and his crime.

Murder recalled

Chapman describes how he shot ex-Beatle Lennon five times in the back outside the Dakota apartment complex, adding "nothing could have stopped me".

"I was under total compulsion," he says.

"I'm thoroughly convinced in my conscience and in my heart that there was nothing I could do beyond that point to help myself, totally convinced of that."

John Lennon and Yoko Ono in 1980

Yoko Ono was with Lennon when he was shot outside their home

Chapman, who is now 50, said he had hoped his "identity would be found" by assassinating Lennon, who was 40 at the time.

"There was a successful man who kind of had the world on a chain, so to speak, and there I was, not even a link of that chain, just a person who had no personality.

"And something in me just broke."

Parole bid

Chapman, who was arrested at the scene, is currently serving a 20 years to life prison sentence for the murder.

He was denied parole for a third time last year after the parole board cited the "extreme malicious intent" of his crime and said releasing him would undermine respect for the law.

Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, has repeatedly lobbied to keep Chapman behind bars, saying he posed a continued threat to her family.

Lennon fans organised an online petition calling for him to remain in prison for the rest of his life.

Chapman may seek a new parole review in October 2006.

The 25th anniversary of Lennon's death is being marked by events worldwide, including a major exhibition on the musician and his work in Paris.

Chapman, Glitter, Manson, and if he was still alive the guy who killed the people and ate them a few years ago (what's his name??) and a few choice others should be shipped off and dumped on a tiny, tiny deserted island somewhere with no supplies and no way to get away from each other, and film a special "Survival" about it.

• 3 weeks later...