Rest in Peace Mugsy

RonJonSurfer

This is a very personal news story for me. Most of you never heard of The Uncle Floyd Show I'm sure. It is a New Jersey cult classic and one of the wackiest TV shows ever. It lived on the UHF channels for years. Floyd and his cast of loonies were silly, obnoxious, raw and nothing but funny.

Floyd is from a musical family, his brother now plays in the Conan O'Brien Band with max Weinberg. But his biggest gig was playing at my wedding in 1982 (I had Jimmy Vivino's band before he hit the big time).

Anyway, the most talented musician along with Floyd was CM "Mugsy" Calam. Funny, talented and a perfect sidekick to Floyd. Mugsy ran a Yahoo club for years about The Uncle Floyd Show. Having met all these guys many times I joined the club, but this message came today:

"It is the sad duty of this correspondant to report that C. M. (Mugsy)

Calam has departed the mortal plane of existance at 11:35 PM EDT this

date (10-24-2005) while surrounded by friends, fellow cast members and

extended showbiz family at his bedside. He was thanked by all for the

laughs and music he gifted us with throughout his lifetime. He was

given a standing ovation, bid a fond and loving good night. He then

passed peacefully about 25 minutes later.

If at all possible, we will continue this club in his memory."

Mugsy will slip away into that oblivion of essentially unknown performers...but he was a good guy and he'll be missed by a whole lot of people that loved The Uncle Floyd Show.

Edited by Guest

I was looking at Ramones sites and found this, thought of RonJon's post:

Ramones concerts usually included a pinhead who held up a sign that read, "Gabba Gabba Hey" when they would play the song Pinhead. The pinhead was named Gabby Hey. This name was given to him by either Uncle Floyd or a member of the Uncle Floyd Show cast (The Ramones appeared on the Uncle Floyd Show on at least 15 occasions).

Thanks Katie...I'm sure that was Mugsy. Do some googling on The Uncle Floyd Show / Ramones and you'll find some really offbeat stuff.

I remember the Ramones being on the show and it was always surreal. The set was nothing more than a desk and Floyd's piano. They used one camera for years.

A friend of my rented studio space to floyd in the back of an old Flea Market. Floyd had a beat up old piano there. When everybody lost the lease, the had to get out fast and Floyd left the piano...I think my freind scoffed it up and sold it.

anyway, thanks again.