Remember how it was back then

There goes the last DJ

Who plays what he wants to play

Who says what he wants to say

Hey, hey, hey

There goes your freedom of choice

There goes the last human voice

There goes the last DJ

Hey Brian, my mom listens to KINK all the time!

KUFO.. Portlands Rock Station is pretty bad. I actually had this station as #1 on my radio presets. Sadly, they have given me every excuse to change... the greatest being that the DJ's made a very crude joke about a 14 year old girl that 'ran away' with her 35+ old soccer coach. I wont repeat what they said, but KUFO was the one and only station I have boycotted since then.

Was it said by that guy "Marconi" by any chance? I can't stand him, back when I listened to 94.7 KNRK, he would talk and tell unfunny jokes most of the time. KUFO is pretty good, but now they have Marconi, and I still prefer tapes and such.

I'm surprised the response has been so favorable to DJs. As a former DJ for many years, I wasn't sure what was worse, the corporations that eliminated DJs, or the terrible DJs who have them good reason. Radio is a lot of fun and a chance to interact. A good DJ will read the newspaper, visit Songfacts often, answer the phones and read the wires.

I've heard DJs open the mic and talk about an upcoming show without knowing the date. This is especially disturbing when you consider how easy it is to look this stuff up.

Here's my killer programing idea (Jane, you can steal this):

When hurricane Katrina hit, a lot of stations raised money by letting listeners donate money in exchange for a song. Not only did it raise lots of cash, but the playlists never sounded better. Why not do this once a week, maybe for 2 hours, with a different charity every week. You could let listeners suggest a good cause on the website and bring in a representative to bring out the warm and fuzzies that work so well (just try to resist a make-a-wish kid). You lose 2 hours of revenue, but gain great publicity and establish goodwill. Clear Channel wonldn't do this, but did look the other way when they accepted modern payola, and that helps explain why they've been downgraded to junk.

Yeah, KINK is awesome! I love it. Your mom obviously has good taste! :)

Actually the people that said it went by names like pork chop and dog. One of them was used as a voice on the Grand Theft Auto game. Anyway, this was awhile ago. I will admit, I have listened to KUFO since 'the boycott' and the guys no longer work there.

It is odd you mention Marconi and 94.7. I never got into his type of humor either... then or now. Did you know he was fired from 94.7 when he and his co host 'Tiny' made a joke about the Alan Berg beheading! Well, they were instantly fired. Which is really sad-for them at least, because I heard that they were going to be syndicated in Seattle before this happened. (What people see in his talents I will never know.)

Hey Brian, my mom listens to KINK all the time!

Was it said by that guy "Marconi" by any chance? I can't stand him, back when I listened to 94.7 KNRK, he would talk and tell unfunny jokes most of the time. KUFO is pretty good, but now they have Marconi, and I still prefer tapes and such.

I'm surprised the response has been so favorable to DJs. As a former DJ for many years, I wasn't sure what was worse, the corporations that eliminated DJs, or the terrible DJs who have them good reason. Radio is a lot of fun and a chance to interact. A good DJ will read the newspaper, visit Songfacts often, answer the phones and read the wires.

I've heard DJs open the mic and talk about an upcoming show without knowing the date. This is especially disturbing when you consider how easy it is to look this stuff up.

Here's my killer programing idea (Jane, you can steal this):

When hurricane Katrina hit, a lot of stations raised money by letting listeners donate money in exchange for a song. Not only did it raise lots of cash, but the playlists never sounded better. Why not do this once a week, maybe for 2 hours, with a different charity every week. You could let listeners suggest a good cause on the website and bring in a representative to bring out the warm and fuzzies that work so well (just try to resist a make-a-wish kid). You lose 2 hours of revenue, but gain great publicity and establish goodwill. Clear Channel wonldn't do this, but did look the other way when they accepted modern payola, and that helps explain why they've been downgraded to junk.

Carl...we did that here back in the Spring for a family who lost 2 children in a car wreck, they had no insurance and then we did it again for Hurricane Katrina...it does do well. I have found the repsones to this thread interesting. And speaking as a DJ who is always prepared, there is no excuse to go on air not prepared. Except for stupidity. And being a DJ is not a piece of cake and some who are in the business think it is, and that is why they sound terrible.