Radio with DJ's or without??

Sweet Jane 61

A station in our "corporate family" changed its format to classic rock and todays new rock...well it is all music and commercials with no DJ's, now being one I like stations that employ them, but before I was a DJ I was a listener and I like knowing what songs were played, old or new, hearing music news, and requests if the station took them, also listener call ins. So folks what do you think? And if you like radio with no DJ's won't bother me....you will just be taken off my Chirstmas Card List...LOL!! Seriously, looking for what you all like to hear on the radio.

I absolutely hate commercials...it's ok if it's short and sweet, but sometimes you wonder when the music is gonna play....I like listening to the DJ's, and I really like when they let you know who's playing, and hearing info they have on the background of the group....It's also fun to hear the DJ's chat among themselves, and with listeners.....I'm all for DJ's and less commercials! :thumbsup:

I like to listen to knowledgeable DJ's. There is one guy named Jim Ladd who has been on since I was a kid who is great. He is the only guy left on the radio here who is allowed to play what he wants to play. He comes on at 10 at night and is able to create a mood to go with what he is talking about or what has happened in the world that particular day. Joe Benson is good to for song and band history, too.

I don't have a problem with radio DJ's (the other kind are another story), but I loathe commercials. It seems as though the companies that can't afford TV spots go to radio, where it becomes obvious that they also can't afford creative ad companies. I also loathe the majority of content on radio stations, but that's also another story.

This all became moot when I switched to Sirius last year. The DJ's are weirder (which I like); plus you don't have to wait to find out the name of something. It's prominently displayed on the receiver.

So, long story longer, I vote for DJ's.

I have to agree with the above gentlemen(?) ;)

I enjoy a knowledgeable DJ, one that can tell me bits of info that I didn't know. In my area, the DJs have evolved with the music. As the music gets older, and moves over to classic, so do the DJs. I've been listening to the same DJs basically for 25+ years and I love them!!

DJ's who try to be really "out there" and wacky, but just don't get the laughs. Your personality is what comes through to your listeners, when you are faking it or acting, we can tell and we don't like it. You're either funny or you're not, rather play on your best attributes than coming off as insincere.

There are radio stations without djs that remind me of these muzak stations... just like all of you, I hate it when they don´t say what´s the songs and who´s the artist... and I also have some dj friends.

Oh, you´re right, Jane, it´s not a good way to become a millionaire... it´s better to work in a TV station... ;)

Yeah no big mansion on the hill for me but how often do you get a job that you love...sure it has some stress and stuff but when you love music being a DJ just rocks!! And you know it isn't that easy to be on the air...you have to know your music, have that something that people connect to and be a little of a smart azz!! My favorite part!

I just don't like the radio in general. There's commercials, in many places the reception is bad, the DJs are boring, at least where I live, they only play the hits, and they refuse to play songs over 8 minutes long (well, sometimes they do, but not often). I used to listen to it to find out about new artists, but now I find out about new artists from the internet. As for listening in the car, I bought this cool thing from Radio Shack, it's a tape with a cord you attach to a CD player, and you can put it in the tape deck in your car. Or if your car has a CD player, that makes it even easier to listen to good music in your car!

So to answer your question, I don't really care if the radio has DJs or not, since I don't listen to it. But I'm going to say I want it with DJs, because I don't want Jane to become unemployed!

Well, I for one vote FOR DJ's! (Do you have my current address for the Christmas card? :) ?) I mean if I want to listen to nothing but music, I will listen to CD's. I work 12 hour shifts, both day and night, and sometimes the only thing going on is what is on the radio.

In Portland, Oregon, I listen to KINK FM RADIO which has really stood out among ALL other radio stations. The first time I ever listened to KINK, I thought, "What the Hell just happened to my radio?" It turns out, KINK went from their 'regular' playlist to a two hour program called 'Lights Out'. In short, just think of listening to U2 one minute and an uninterupted consortium of light jazz for the next TWO hours. I was impressed!!

Ever since then KINK FM has continued to win me over each and everytime I listen to them. The DJ's are very intelligent... they know their music, and often give little tidbits about the band or the song just before playing it. The playlist does not consist of overplayed music! They give airplay to up and coming artists! AND, they post EVERY SINGLE SONG they play on air, on their online playlist! I am OFTEN turned onto new songs throught KINK and often write down the time so I can go to their website and see the artist and song info.

OTHER radio stations in Portland, don't compare to KINK. Which is odd, because KINK does not fit my general music interest which is Hard Rock, or Country. And, beleive it or not, I have comments on each...

KUFO.. Portlands Rock Station is pretty bad. I actually had this station as #1 on my radio presets. Sadly, they have given me every excuse to change... the greatest being that the DJ's made a very crude joke about a 14 year old girl that 'ran away' with her 35+ old soccer coach. I wont repeat what they said, but KUFO was the one and only station I have boycotted since then.

KWJJ-A country station. Country music is an aquired taste, I will grant you that. But I love listening to MIKE AND AMY in the morning. I dont think I have ever listened to a show as creative as Mike and Amy! It is hillarious! The sad thing is, after their show ends, it is back to the replicated songlists, and majorly overplayed songs!

I hope this helped you?

Yeah no big mansion on the hill for me but how often do you get a job that you love...sure it has some stress and stuff but when you love music being a DJ just rocks!! And you know it isn't that easy to be on the air...you have to know your music, have that something that people connect to and be a little of a smart azz!! My favorite part!

That´s for sure... I´d rather work in something I love and just make a living than struggle to be rich. I worked very little in the radio, just some months, but being in the music scene makes you know many (or most of the) radio DJs. They help a lot indies groups and they are the ones who air the new things and make music go on somehow. I did the same for many years but in TV... only I was well payed, not like my dj colleagues.

When I was a teenager in athens I listened to the radio alot, that's how I discovered some of the music i liked, and I have a couple of fave radio stations, one which played cool rock music and one which played random greek stuff and me and my friends found amusing. so the later, it was definitely about the djs, the former, it was both, i did have fave shows.

for some odd reason however, i don't really like the radio here. in the lab, we can only get 3 stations, one of which is the mainstream rock station, and i find the djs quite annoying, i'd rather they didn't say much.

so basically, i was going to answer that i prefer just the music with a couple of comments like the name of the song, but then i remembered i did use to enjoy listening to specific shows where they talked more.

They don't do that where you are? It's the most frustrating thing on earth! Sledgehammer visions come to mind. And this only happens on the one station where they SOMETIMES play international stuff. Another reason I don't listen to radio.

And they're not charmers either. Most of them became DJ's part time. Can't even talk properly. Bah! :mad: go, vh1!!

Any DJ that talks thru a song should not be on the air...that is not permitted on the station I work at or any others I know of in this area. I think there must not be any type of upper management, program director to be exact watching over this, and that is too bad. And if a DJ can't talk he is in the wrong business, it is all about being able to talk and have a knowledge of the format you are playing. Don't judge us all by a few bad apples.