Horns (pop, rock, funk and soul)

RonJonSurfer

Very true Seeker. Redding's back-up band was The Bar-Kays, four of whom perished with him in the same plane crash. I saw surviving members (augmented by a few new musicians) perform a memorial concert for Otis in 1968. No vocals, just the band and they were awesome.

You may recall The Bar-Kays as the group who recorded Soulfinger,which was used in the movie Spies Like Us.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Redding's back-up band was The Bar-Kays, four of whom perished with him in the same plane crash. I saw surviving members (augmented by a few new musicians) perform a memorial concert for Otis in 1968. No vocals, just the band and they were awesome.

That must be good... :) I have a VHS with the last OR performances, the Monterrey one and the Stax Tour... you can´t watch it sitting on your sofa, you just get up and dance...

Aerosmith has a recording on their 'Live Bootleg' album of a show they did in a little nightclub before they hit it big. It's really raw, and you can hear individual people clapping, the amps humming and whatnot. Very intimate.

Well, they do a cover of 'Mother Popcorn' that is just dripping with funk. What a gritty, nasty, attitude laced performance!!!

David Woodford guests on sax. Top notch.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the horns and brass bits in Peter Gabriel's "Sledgehammer".

For some reason this reminds me of an old joke...what's the difference between a bull and the Peter Gabriel Band?....The bull has the horns at the front and the a$$hole at the back....boom boom :)

(I quite like some of his stuff and the live DVD is AWESOME...it's just too good a joke to leave idle :shades: ) :):)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have always felt the three best horn bands were Blood, Sweat and Tears - Chicago - Earth, Wind and Fire. With that said I choose as some of my favorite horn songs:

God Bless The Child - Blood, Sweat and Tears

Beginnings - Chicago

Got To Get You Into My Life - Earth, Wind and Fire

ages.jpg

I'd nearly forgotten about The Band's Rock Of Ages album, until the local classic rock station played the Chest Fever track as a 'Live at Five' selection. This recording of their performance New Year's Eve 1971/1972 features perfect horn arrangements by genius Allen Toussaint. It's incredible how The Band's 'hillbilly' sound works and fits together with the snappy flamboyant horn section.

My friend had this album on vinyl when it was new, but it looks like the latest CD version includes a whole second disc more with Bob Dylan.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...