• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Buckinghams "Kind of A Drag"

"Susan"

rtstuff

Interestingly the guys in Chicago said that they were inspired by the Buckinghams who were another Chicago area group as were the Ides of March, New Colony Six, Chase, and Rotary Connection who all used horns in their recordings. I suspect the heavy influence of soul, blues, and jazz in the Chicago music scene all helped to contribute to the horn sound that these groups adopted. Even though I'm Chicago born I have to give props to the hardest hitting horn band ever Tower of Power especially on "What Is Hip". Also not mentioned yet was Cold Blood with the great Lydia Pence shoutin it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Some great stuff mentioned above. I have always loved Chicago and Blood Sweat & Tears. In addition, I always thought the horn section on "The Cheater" by Bob Kuban & the In-men was great. Ditto for the horns on "Hawaii Five-o" by The Ventures. Gotta agree with the above statement about "Peter Gunn" being thr greatest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The horns on most of Phil Collins' album "Face Value" are fabulous! Specifically "Behind the Lines"; "I Missed Again" and the intro to "If Leaving Me Is Easy". A truly underrated album- yes- I said it!!!

An additional note: "Face Value"'s backup musicians are the Earth, Wind and Fire horn section....

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...

Regarding memories of the group "Chase". They were a favorite of ours in the Chicago area and my buddies and I went to see them perform every chance we got. Bill Chase had great jazz credentials and was lead trumpet in Woody Herman's big band for some time. Chase was managed by the same firm that handled the Ides of March (Vehicle) and Jim Peterik of the Ides wrote or co-wrote some of the songs on what I believe was the final Chase album. The group itself was very tight and of course the interesting thing is that the horn section was four trumpets. This was a different twist from standard horn combination of trumpet,sax, and trombone. It sure gave them a very distinctive sound and every one of those guys could absolutely scream on the horn. It was quite a shock when the accident happened.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...