Bands that did NO covers!

Mike

How many bands have recorded "zero" cover songs?

Does this count live albums? Because then Queen and The Eagles have to be ruled out. They both have included covers on their live albums. PLus on "Hell Freezes Over" they do a studio cover of "Love Will Keep Us Alive".

This is digging up the past but did Iron Butterfly do any covers? I can't think of any. Neither did The Gun (circa 1968-1969).

Legendary Aussie psychadelic Surf band Tamam Shud didn't do any covers either to my knowledge.

Hmmmmmmm, off the top of me head ...

Boston

Cheap Trick -the studio albums (the live Budokan, they did "Aint' That a Shame."

Max Webster - my fav Canadian band.

Rush

Queen (however, they did "God Save the Queen" in "A Night at the Opera.")

OMG - I can't believe I've found another Max Webster fan -

do you like Kim Mitchell's solo work? the cut on Universal Juveniles with Rush is my favorite.

OMG - I can't believe I've found another Max Webster fan -

do you like Kim Mitchell's solo work? the cut on Universal Juveniles with Rush is my favorite.

Get out of here!! :coolio: :coolio:

I've only met (on the net) maybe 2 or 3 other fans of my favourite Canadian band. I'm sure they were also fellow Ontarians so you'd be the first American.

My one older brother went to see 'Rush' in Toronto (in the 70's) and came back with Max Webster's debut album. He picked it up at the concert and said they opened for 'Rush'. Shortly after, my brother bought their sophomore effort, "High Class in Borrowed Shoes" which is my favourite by MW.

We ended up owning all their material on records (5 studios, and 1 live album) and I now have them all on CD (except the live one which is called, "Live Magnetic Air").

Kim Mitchell should be among the 'Top 10' lists of most underrated guitarists ever. Kim released quite a few solo albums but personally, I prefer his material from the MW days.

Unless you already have, try and get MW's first 3 releases ...

- Max Webster

- High Class in Borrowed Shoes

- Mutiny Up My Sleeve

My favourite MW tunes ...

- Oh War!

- Coming Off the Moon

- Toronto Tontos

- Gravity

- Waterline

- Here Among the Cats

actually, I could go on and on and on ...

:coolio:

P.S. Any fans of MW is a friend of mine :D

I had Universal Juveniles and Kim Mitchells solo debut on vinyl in the 70's and I've downloaded the few things I could find on line since I've been on the internet but I will definitely look for those and the others Ive never heard...is their whole catalog available on cd? - any idea where I can order them?

Actually, Pink Floyd did a guitar cover of The beatles' A day in the life....really psychedelic!

Really?! I've never hear this, is it "recorded" or was it live? Where? When? This would be very interesting to me. All evidence is Pink Floyd Never Covered.

I had Universal Juveniles and Kim Mitchells solo debut on vinyl in the 70's and I've downloaded the few things I could find on line since I've been on the internet but I will definitely look for those and the others Ive never heard...is their whole catalog available on cd? - any idea where I can order them?

Sorry Audioslave, almost missed this.

You can trust this place ---> mymusic.com The US prices are really good and for this month, free S & H for minimum $30 order.

This link will take you right to MW ---> Max Webster CDs

:coolio:

Oh yeah, they also have an option of "Bill Me Later."

Thanks so much for the link - You're my HERO!!!

I ordered 3 max webster cd's and akimbo alogo...can't wait for them to get here!

All right!! And you got "Akimbo Alogo" ?? WHOA!! Kim's most popular album!!

I'm not sure if you're familiar with that album but just in case ... it's the one with "Go For Soda," AND "Lager and Ale." When it arrives, don't forget to crank those 2 tunes up :coolio:

Also, if you ordered "High Class in Borrowed Shoes," not only crank the title cut but "Oh! War" as well. Actually, crank it all up!! :coolio:

:guitar:

Ant

All right!! And you got "Akimbo Alogo" ?? WHOA!! Kim's most popular album!!

I'm not sure if you're familiar with that album but just in case ... it's the one with "Go For Soda," AND "Lager and Ale." When it arrives, don't forget to crank those 2 tunes up :coolio:

Also, if you ordered "High Class in Borrowed Shoes," not only crank the title cut but "Oh! War" as well. Actually, crank it all up!! :coolio:

:guitar:

Ant

I'll do that - I did get Borrowed Shoes and Universal Juveniles and one other of their original catalog (not a best of collection) I can't remember the name of that one.

I do remember "go for soda" - it was my favorite album in like 1982 or so - everything from 74 till 83 is kind of blurry - but I know I was there cos I remember stuff from 1973. Love ya -

• 2 weeks later...

The only Jimi cover I've ever heard of is a cover of Creams Sunshine of your love

Hendrix did a number of covers, particularly live ones: Star Spangled Banner, Wild Think, Johnny B Goode, Sgt. Pepper's, and an entire CD of blues (check it out if you're a fan - it's awesome) Also, Hey Joe was a cover - it was originally recorded by a band called The Leaves. . .

I can't think of anyone who's never covered. . . I think most artists at least cover material when performing live.

• 5 weeks later...
The only Jimi cover I've ever heard of is a cover of Creams Sunshine of your love
THATS IT! My friend always plays the intro to it and says it's a Zeppelin song, but he is stupid and gets everything mixed up he hears, and I know he doesn't listen to Cream, so how he knew that always confused me. Well, now I know! Also, the Eagles technically covered themselves, but I wouldnt' really count that. I don't believe I can think of a single band that didn't do any covers. I guess I'm just not a very well rounded guy musically.