Annoying Movie Mistakes

PSYCHOcatholic

I usually don't watch for that kind of stuff. But I was watching "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls", and during the part where Ace was describing his theory to the culprit (the curator of the museum, or whatever that guy was), the culprit guy is seated at a table with chess pieces. Ace picks up one of the chess pieces as he presents more evidence, then puts the chess piece back down. When he turns around, all the chess pieces are gone from the table.

It's no big deal. It didn't change the outcome of the movie, or anything like that. You just don't expect to see a gaffe like that in such a finely crafted piece of cinema.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :jester:

Not so much a mistake as just lazy writing, but in The Exorcism Of Emily Rose, there's a scene where the young female laywer is in a bar with her boss. They order drinks at the bar, have a little chat, then she walks out. No drink.

I can picture some screenwriter insisting they order drinks for character development, then figuring the audience was too stupid to care if she leaves before her drink arrives, even at an upscale Yuppie bar where it would cost $9.

I guess it just bothers me when people in movies don't behave like they would in real life. For instance, in movies when someone needs a cab, they run outside and scream, "Taxi!" I can tell you from experience that no one yells at cabs. They can't hear you and you'd sound like an idiot.

Also, in movies, phone calls are terminated instantly. No goodbyes.

I want to give props to the movie "Before Sunrise" for not falling into these traps. There's a scene where Ethan and Julie are in a cafe in Paris, and when they leave, there is some awkwardness over the tip, which is exactly what would happen when an American tries to figure out the gratuity protocol in a French cafe. Subtle things like that made the characters more human.

Not so much a mistake as just lazy writing, but in The Exorcism Of Emily Rose, there's a scene where the young female laywer is in a bar with her boss. They order drinks at the bar, have a little chat, then she walks out. No drink.

I can picture some screenwriter insisting they order drinks for character development, then figuring the audience was too stupid to care if she leaves before her drink arrives, even at an upscale Yuppie bar where it would cost $9.

Ya know, that bothered me the entire time in the movie theater...which didnt make the movie as enjoyable as awesome as it was.

Another thing about Emily Rose...

It wasnt Catholic Doctrine Correct. A Diocese Bishop would never let an ordinary priest without any excorcism experience and no knowledge of the rites perform one. Every Diocese in the WORLD has a specifically trained Priest to do that stuff.

But anyways, yeah the martini thing KILLED me. But, dont you notice that in most movies people will sit down to eat and eat like 3 bites and be done?

If they meet someone in a restaurant they get there food and they are done two seconds later. Its weird.

"I guess it just bothers me when people in movies don't behave like they would in real life. For instance, in movies when someone needs a cab, they run outside and scream, "Taxi!" I can tell you from experience that no one yells at cabs. They can't hear you and you'd sound like an idiot."

actually i do know people who do that!I never understood what the point was though

• 2 weeks later...

And another thing that REALLY annoys me in movies is when someone is playing an instrument and you can tell that they're not playing it. Like the violin, sax or trumpet when their fingers don't change at the same time as the notes change. Being a violinist, this really annoys me.