old=new music help!

I have been on a steep learning curve the past two years, discovering classic rock and realising that they don't make music like they used to.

Since I was born in 1984 I missed out on the majority of timeless rock. I was wondering if anyone could suggest names of artists/bands I should without a doubt check out!! I am already a big fan of bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc but I would really like to broaden my horizons!!

A "Must Hear" Starter Set

Cream (Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker)

Traffic (Stevie Winwood, Dave Mason et al)

early Steve Miller Band (some includes Boz Skaggs).. [albums: Children of the Future, Sailor , Brave New World ]

early, early Fleetwood Mac (with Peter Green and pre-Stevie Nicks).. [albums: English Rose , Then Play On , Bare Trees ]

Neil Young

Crosby, Stills & Nash ( & Young & Taylor & Reeves ).. [avoid 'live' material. Harmonies sucked when they when they were stoned].

The Animals

Eric Burdon & the Animals

Eric Burdon & War

War

When we name names, you should remember that the choices are subjective to the maximum. And some part of Classic Rock's appeal (beside being great music) is based on memory of the contemporary environment. Some of the stuff that was considered experimental at the time (long, long rambling solos, especially drum solos) seem rather self-indulgent today. There have always been artists trying too hard to copycat the elements that worked for the super-groups. I suggest you dig deeply into stuff that interests you initially -- the best cuts are sometimes buried in an album behind the more commonplace.

Having said all that, here's a few noteworthies.

Jethro Tull

Steppenwolf

Grateful Dead

Jefferson Airplane

Country Joe & The Fish

Johnny Winter

The Kinks (not just "Lola" -- the Kinks are under-appreciated)

Stevie Wonder (after he took the controls from Motown)

and later on

Peter Frampton

Supertramp

Other 'old' rock music worth listening to, in my opinion:

Any early Deep Purple

Early Lou Reed (especially 'Rock & Roll')

All Ozzy's Sabbath

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

All Rush up to and including Exit Stage Left

All Tom Waites

All Tim Buckley

The Cult

The Kinks

The Faces

The Small Faces

Early Genesis

Ry Cooder

Scorpions - up to and including 'Tokyo Tapes'

The list is endless as anybody reading this post will know!

As with most album music however expect not to like it much for the first few listens, but persevere and it will come good.

p.s. - if wanting to speed things up a bit, try 'Inflamable Material' by Stiff little Fingers, or 'Another music in a different kitchen' by Buzzcocks.

Regards

Might I suggest a few records that I myself would recommend to anyone looking for old music.

As you are an Aussie and dig Aussie music, definitely get the new remastered version of "Radios Appear" by Radio Birdman from Citadel records mail order. The remastered CD sound is brilliant and it is indispensible.

Also: "I'm Stranded" and "Eternally Yours" by The Saints.

"Domestic Harmony" - Do Re Mi

James Reyne's self titled debut

Love Buzz - The Hummingbirds

True Colours - Split Enz

TALES FROM THE AUSTRALIAN UNDERGROUND SINGLES 1976- 1989

A good "best of" by the Masters Apprentices, might I suggest Glenn A. Baker's one on the Raven label, which is awesome!

"Everything's Legal, Anything Goes" and "Caught In The Act" by Redgum

"Noiseworks" and "Touch" by Noiseworks

"Of Skins and Heart" and "The Blurred Crusade" - The Church

"Goodbye Tiger" and "The Great Escape" by Richard Clapton

"In Their Element" - The Radiators

"Underneath The Colours" and "The Swing" - INXS

"Boom Crash Opera" - Boom Crash Opera

"Desperate" - Divinyls

"Daddy Who?" and "Sex, Dope and Rock and Roll...Teenage Heaven" - Daddy Cool

"Living In The 70's" - Skyhooks

"Struttin'" - Ted Mulry Gang

"Human Frailty" - Hunters and Collectors

"Gossip" - Paul Kelly (make sure to find the 24 track version)

"Crowded House" - Crowded House

"Ugly Things" - Various Artists

"So You Wanna Be A Rock and Roll Star" - a 3 cd set of the most obscure and cool singles released by Festival between 1964 and 1970. Check out "The Giggle Eyed Goo" by Steve and the Board as well as the absolutely essential psych classic "Mr Guy Fawkes" by the Dave Miller Set.

"Evolution" by Tamam Shud

"Morning Of The Earth" - Soundtrack

"Cats and Dogs" - Mental As Anything

"Head Injuries" - Midnight Oil

"Out Of Mind..." - Models

"Flowers" - Icehouse

"Stoneage Romeos" - Hoodoo Gurus

If you can find this one you're doing well. It's an obscure embryonic dance project formed by Michael Hutchence and Ollie Olssen called "Max Q". The album is also called "Max Q" and is worth hunting for.

"Spirit Of Place" - Goanna

"Angels Greatest Vol 1" - The Angels

"Scarred For Life" - Rose Tattoo

:"The Hoax Is Over" - The Aztecs (this is way rare and probably not on CD yet, but an abridged form of the album is available on their 3cd set "Lock Up Your Mother"

"For the Working Class Man" - Jimmy Barnes

"Life Is For Living" - Sherbet

"Bonk" - Big Pig

"Hold On To Me" - Black Sorrows

"Sideroxylon" and "Blind Ear" - Celibate Rifles

"Screaming Targets" - Jo Jo Zep & The Falcons

"String Of Pearls" - Deborah Conway

There's more but that will do for now.

Enjoy!

I have been on a steep learning curve the past two years, discovering classic rock and realising that they don't make music like they used to.

Since I was born in 1984 I missed out on the majority of timeless rock. I was wondering if anyone could suggest names of artists/bands I should without a doubt check out!! I am already a big fan of bands such as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, etc but I would really like to broaden my horizons!!

Welcome to the world of timeless music!!!

Here's 2 other great websites: www.classicrockrevisited.com and www.allmusic.com. All music dot com allows you to check out certain genres of music and gives you a good list of bands and artists.

:rockon:

And I'll throw in some of my favorites too: Van Halen, Blues Traveler, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd,U2, Rush, AC/DC, Genesis, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pearl Jam, Stevie Ray Vaughan....there's more...a lot more but I'll stop there!!

The Smiths yes. If you are talking about that type of music you must also consider Joy Division, Magazine, The Stone Roses and many, many more.

What is the preocupation with 'London Calling'? A great Album for sure, but only one of many from The Clash worth listening to - 'The Clash' anyone?

Regards

I grew up in the 80's with WAY older brothers. I listened to what they listened to because THEY were so cool!.

So, Here's what I suggest:\( These are only a few of the old 70's AOR(Album Oriented Radio) popular bands.

Jethro Tull

King Crimson

Yes, ( NOT the 80's "group" with the album 918209 I think)

Genesis(early, When Peter Gabriel was vocals)

Moody Blues ( not my favorites)

Aerosmith

Boston( repetative sounding, all of the music focuses on lead vocal, all sounds vocals are the same..In My opinion not the best group either because of the style and voice same in every song)

ELO.. Ahead of their time with "Electronica" sound

Peter Frampton ( 1 album hit wonder)

Queen ( older stuff, actually, they have a pretty broad musical style, You didn't always know who the song was by.. i.e. I'm in Love With My Car( Jaguar Commercial..Thats Queen)Surprise!)

David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust ( Pre curser to "Punk")

Styx( same category as Boston, no matter what the song, you know who sings it.. no surprises)

Chicago.. excellent for their Jazz/brass roots

Doobie Brothers

BTO ( still popular today, in commercials)

Led Zepplin

The Who

The Doors

GTR ( I know this is actually later 80's, but with Steve Howell, Trevor Howard, Chris Squire and Max Bacon.. A lot of oldies in there)

Thin Lizzie

Wet Willie

Santana( STill timeless)

Eagles

Fleetwood Mac

Sheewwww, I can't think of any more right now.. But there are still a LOT of good ones