The Doobie Brothers

_jr_

Das and Sammy mentioned these guys in 'Random Music Thoughts', and after a quick search, I found there hasn't been a thread about this band.

Pre-Michael McDonald? Or with Michael McDonald? What is your preference?

I feel both versions have their merit. Certainly, both versions had their fair share of hits.

I like both equally well, I suppose. I know McDonald was a power fiend. That's why Skunk Baxter quit, I believe.

China Grove

Listen to the Music

Jesus is Just Alright

What a Fool Believes

Minute By Minute

It Keeps You Runnin'

Each set are pretty good, IMO.

They're OKAY...before and after Ronald McDonald. They have had some great musicians over the years and have written some great tunes, but I would never put them in the Top 100 bands of all time. I guess I just kinda lost respect for them when McDonald took over and went strictly for the profit margin. It was almost like it was a Ronald McDonald solo act after that.

I like the band to a point, but I can honestly say, without fear of reprisal, that I have never owned a Doobies Brothers album.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon: :rockon:

Ron Jon you do rock!! How very cool. ;)

As far as the Doobies go, I loved the pre-McDonald band. I saw them in concert twice, had the first 2 albums. When McDonald joined, they were just different. I didn't care for him, and he's a St Louis boy!! :crazy: I'm generally very loyal to the hometown boys (and girls).

My last name is Dube...its french Canadian, and its pronounced just like Doobie in the States. In Canada is Dubay. So, people here always ask me....OMG are you related to the Doobie Brothers?! So, it gets annoying.

But my favorite song by them is Black Water. Cant get enough of that song! Second favorite is It Keeps You Runnin! Third...Jesus is just Alright!

Oh, and Pre-Michael McDonald.

I liked the Doobies in the early seventies, they were really exciting and cool at the same time. My favourite song is still "Listen to the music" though they did much good stuff before 1975... that´s when I stopped being interested in them. I guess it´s because I turned into another kind of music... so I can´t really blame ex-Steely Dan McDonald.

I will have go with pre-Michael McDonald...mainly because they rocked...not looking to make music for Top 40...I played "The Captain and Me" from the album of the same name for my burried classic song today and I forgot how they jammed...Tom Johnston, Patrick Simmons....that was the Doobies! And I got great feedback from playing the song. Listeners liked hearing classic Doobies! As do I.

Das and Sammy mentioned these guys in 'Random Music Thoughts', and after a quick search, I found there hasn't been a thread about this band.

Pre-Michael McDonald? Or with Michael McDonald? What is your preference?

I feel both versions have their merit. Certainly, both versions had their fair share of hits.

I personally enjoy both versions also!

But my favorite song by them is Black Water. Cant get enough of that song! Second favorite is It Keeps You Runnin! Third...Jesus is just Alright!

All good songs, But Black Water Has to be my favorite too. I love turning that up in the car, and trying to sing all the parts :) PLus it's a favorite around the area I live in.

• 2 weeks later...

I much prefer the pre-Michael McDonald version of The Doobies. IMO, McDonald has one of the most insipid voices in rock music. My favourite Doobie Brothers songs are Long Train Running and Old Black Water although most of their early stuff is great. I also have one of their later albums, 1991's Brotherhood. Blessedly, this version of the Doobies was sans Michael McDonald. The album is quite good and the boys prove they can still rock.