Zeppelin Phase

Batman

Throughout my few years of classic rock listening, and analyzing of other classic rock fans, I have realized that at one point or another, almost every classic rock fan goes through a Zeppelin phase, meaning a time when they obsess over Led Zeppelin. When was yours? What was it like? You did have a Zeppelin phase, didn't you?

My Zeppelin phase happened in Febuary 2004, when I got "Early Days and Latter Days, The Best of Led Zeppelin." This was also right at the beginning of my classic rock obsessive phase. I was obsessing over classic rock, but didn't have much, so I think that's why I loved Zeppelin so much. Not only are they a great band, but they're the band everyone is listening to when they give up on new music for a while. I'm not sure if they ever passed Jimi as my favorite artist, but I know at one point they were at least tied, and for a good year, "How The West Was Won" was my favorite album. I slowly faded out of my Zeppelin phase, and now they are my 4th or 5th favorite band.

Now tell your story!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College . '84-'99 ( I wasn't a good student :o :laughing: ) . Zepplin rocked our dorm-room poker games ( on 8 track , even ! ) ...Later , I just thought , they're great , fair enough , but I'm not going to listen to them day and night ... there's too much else out there . ( Warning : 8-tracks are circular and after 12 hours or so , will drive you insane -- for no reason at all , you will answer the question "How's it going ?" with " Dancin' days are here again... " after repeated and prolonged exposure .

In the early seventies some friend of mine loved the first Zepp album and was playing it all the time... one week later we all had bought the album to listen to it in our homes too... I bought it again some twenty years ago and I got the cd lately.

When I was teenager, my buddies and I would listen religiously to four bands....The Stones, Zeppelin, The Kinks, and The Who (the four best bands, of course). I still love all their music, but I have outgrown the Zeppelin and Who phases....I still listen to them, but not as often. But I will NEVER outgrow the Stones and Kinks.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I had always kind of liked them; when I was about 12 I blasted my dad's "Led Zeppelin II" record in my room, and he yelled at me. I responded with "But it's your record?". That didn't work.

Anyhoo, my first year in college I bought "Houses Of The Holy" and played it every single day after class. That and "Nevermind" by Nirvana, so what, 1992?

I still like "Houses" the best as a complete album, compared to "Physical Graffiti" and some others, which have a few songs I don't get into. But from the opening song, "The Song Remains The Same", on through the end I still love it. "The Rain Song" and "No Quarter" are my favorites.

So I guess my phase is about 15 years and counting.

Summer of 85 through the spring of 86. I was stationed in Colorado Springs, at Ft. Carson. We'd ride around in the Rocky Mountains and always had Zep in the tape deck.

I had always liked them ok before, but that was when I 'discovered' them. During that time, I bought I, II, Houses of the Holy, and Physical Grafitti. I already owned IV. (didn't everyone?)

I now own all of Zep, with the exception of The Song Remains the Same.

Houses of the Holy is their best, in my opinion, with The Rain Song being my favorite cut.

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"Measuring a summer's day

I only finds it slips away to grey

The hours, they bring me pain

Tangerine, Tangerine

Living reflection from a dream

I was her love, she was my queen

And now a thousand years between

Thinking how it used to be

Does she still remember times like these

To think of us again

And I do

Tangerine, Tangerine

Living reflection from a dream

I was her love, she was my queen

And now a thousand years between

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I bought meself Remasters a couple of months ago, which is basically a compilation with Led Zeppelin songs, and my Dad's got IV on CD. It took me quite some time to get into them (like with Pink Floyd), but I've liked them since then. They're not my favourite band or anything, but I still love a lot of their songs, and my faves are Kashmir and Misty Mountain Hop.

My Zeppelin phase started when they released their first album back in early 1969. As the years progressed and more albums came out, the fanatical fan wanted more than just a smattering of studio albums and 1 live film (The Song Remains the Same).

I mean how many times can you listen to the same studio cut year after year ?

I found the bootleg market ( not to be confused with pirated cds) about 1987.

What a refreshing change; dozens of live shows. Just buy the books that tell you which shows are worthy, find your favorite bootlegger

(I've got about 20 shows) and presto; fresh, live Zep.

Then FINALLY after 30 years = a 2nd official live album :thumbup:

(How the West Was Won) came out and showed people again what a Great live band Zep was.

I hope they put out more Soon, 'cause we're not getting any younger,

(What a fantasy job... to help 'em sift thru all their tapes in the vaults).

:cool:

• 3 weeks later...

This topic really interests me because I am just weaning myself off of my Zeppelin phase lately. I have been playing guitar for about five years this winter and I feel like I've learned all I can from the supreme tutelage of Jimmy Page, and I am ready to move on. I have started listening to more Buddy Guy, BB King, and of course Robert Johnson. But I will always have a special place in my heart (and on my wall) for Led Zeppelin.

• 7 months later...

I see this thread has been brought back after about 8 months, so I'll have to contribute.

I think I bought Remasters just over a year ago (my first and still only Zep CD). It remains my favourite compilation, and I have listened to it much more than anything else since. So, I guess my Zep phase began then, although I was obsessing over "Stairway To Heaven" about 6 months beforehand.

I think this "phase" will last several years for me, and I will always listen to them. My reason for liking them is different to most people though. Most fans love their entire catalogue. I like most of their songs, but three stand out to me - The Rain Song, Stairway To Heaven and Kashmir. These three are in my top ten favourite songs ever, and possibly always will be. These three songs are enough to make me call Zep my favourite band.

No, I have not been through a Zeppelin phase. I've been through plenty of phases since I discovered the joys of rock and roll, but Zeppelin remains my constant favorite (well, tied with The Doors and the Stones of course). I don't think I'll ever stop loving their music. Often when I hear a song too many times, I get sick of it, but so far this hasn't happened to any Zeppelin songs, even the admittedly overplayed Stairway to Heaven. If Zeppelin comes on the radio, the radio gets turned up, no matter what.

• 5 months later...

Haha I'm actually going through a bit of a Zeppelin phase right now. Stumbled upon Stairway to Heaven one day last year and never stopped listening to them since ha. My newest song obsession with them is Houses of The Holy<3. I also like the obvious Kashmir, Heartbraker... yknow. Tea For One is brilliant. The Girl I Love She Got Long Black Hair is superb... everything of theirs is really haha.

I have a huge soft spot for BBC Sessions Myself though :).

I think it's bollocks that they were satanists. Just guys with a knack for the occult with musical instruments at their disposal with a love for old castles...hahahahahaha. :D