Sign in to follow this  
RonJonSurfer

12 songs that must be banned

I will admit- I like the lyrics in "Closer"...

believe it or not, it's a love song...that specific profane lyric, I believe, is meant to express the primal urge to "connect" with someone, from someone, who doesn't have the emotional capacity to connect...

"you get me closer to god.

you can have my isolation.

you can have the hate that it brings.

you can have my absence of faith.

you can have my everything"

...with interspersed "help me" littered throughout the song...

I know...psychobabble...but I thought I'd at least try to defend this song...

"Escape (The Pi¤a Colada Song)" by Some Dink Whose Name I Forget: This song blatantly promotes consumption of cutesy, sugary drinks with tiny parasols and pink flamingos in them. Get a life, creep. And a beer.

Rupert Holmes also wrote "Timothy" for The Buoys. Great song about cannibalism in a coal mine. :happybanana:

I am in agreement that some songs should be banned because they are aweful, but some of that is based on personal opinions. Just like the banned books list, you know what as far as the

U.S goes, I believe that we are given freedom for the pursuit of happiness for a reason. And not that I believe a 10 year old should be listening or reading or seeing some of the stuff that they do, but to keep any kind of free speech from the public is wrong. The American people have to keep a close eye on the government now-a-days because they are taking more and more of our freedom away. Just look right now the senate is wastingour time and hard earned money on trying to make radio stations give equal time to each side of whatever they talk about, so if you are listening to a democratic talk radio show half of the time will be spent on the viewpoint of democrats and the other half on republican views, even though the talk show is for democratic opinions. So they are taking away the freedom to talk about what you want, that is so wrong. The govenment should not really be involved in what people watch or read or say to a certain extent. And the general public should have morals enough to decide what is right and wrong for their attention.

Edited by Guest

I think much of this thread has been tongue-in-cheek, which is OK. But in fact, songs should not be banned because someone thinks they're "awful", because such opinions are inherently subjective. One person's classic is another one's nightmare. Personally, I like MacArthur Park (Richard Harris moreso than Donna Summer), Little Willy and Walking on Sunshine. And Gary Puckett's Young Girl was on an early draft of my PTT.

It is, however, entirely proper to have some restrictions on songs based on overtly violent, sexual, or profane content. Consenting adults who wish to listen to these songs should be able to; but radio should not play, or at least bleep out, content which is not appropriate for children, and iTunes, YouTube and other on-line services should have blocks on certain content without adult authorization.

What about "Into the Night" by Benny Mardones?

"She's just sixteen years old, leave her alone they said..."

And they were right, you perv!

Lock him up.

Udo! :laughing: That is one of my all time favorite songs. I was an impressionable young peach of girl when that song came out. I thought it was so romantic and dreamed of the day an older man would feel that way about me. Now it skeeves me out to listen to it, but I just can't help it...I still love it.

Today's Daily Top 10 has another candidate:

Bohemian Rhapsody

This song espouses murder and apathy. And the songwriter couldn't even figure out which style of music he wanted... is it rock? opera? ballad? I'm confused. This song definitely has to go.

Edited by Guest

Did I yet mention "Ironic" by Alanis Morrisette? I mean, English teachers the world over cringe whenever they hear that song.

so do people with perfect pitch