Your National Anthem!

PSYCHOcatholic

Your National Anthem, someone elses National Anthem? Alot of artists do them? Whos your favorite?

Anywayz. Theres a rock band that does the La Marseillaise they are called Oberkampf out of Paris. Its so amazing! And because of the way they sing it, i passed my memorization test in Francais Un.

What really gets me though, is just people when they sing a national anthem...you can feel the pride coming off of them. A glow, and it makes you so proud to live in a place where people are still proud of there country. Even though they dont agree with each other, or they dont care for the president or leader. They still glow with that pride.

And when i hear the Star Spangled Banner sung by an all male accapella choir. I cant help but smile!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Marseillaise has some lyrics which can cause real nightmares... too much blood etc... both French and Argentinian anthems just remind me of school, where they used to play it when they were celebrating a holiday.

As for Jimi´s Star Spangled banner, I don´t know, I truly prefer "All along the watchtower" or the whole Electric Ladyland album...

Want a real nightmare ? Try the Canadian national anthem -- lyrics so inspiring they should be sung by Joan Baez for full effect , and with the government changing them every year or so ( to be politically correct ) , nobody really knows the'official' words now . For best affect , go to a hockey game in either Montreal or Toronto , during the playoffs ( yeah , I'm dreaming, again ) ... it sort of moves us ( but not in Atlanta , if the Bluejays make the World Series ever again -- they'll hang your flag upside -down ! ) . Were best sung during Canada v.s U.S.S.R. hockey series' when we gave our little bit to the Cold War .

Isn't the tune of the "Star Spangled Banner" lifted from a traditional drinking song? That would explain a lot of things.

I personally like "O Canada", especially when sung by Sarah McLachlan. Can't remember where or when I heard her do it, though.

And, of course, I'll always be fond of the French anthem because of the intro to "All You Need Is Love".

Do YOU know the words to the current Canadian national anthem , then ? Please send me a private message or post them here ... :laughing: :grin: :thumbsup:

There is nothing sadder than a bunch of Canadians at an event going "Oh , Canada ... ( then looking at each other for guidance ) " ... :)

"O Canada, our home and native land.

Something, something, something else.

...thee."

And that's off the top of my head.

Congradulations ! You are now a citizen of Canada . Here's your passport ( please don't sell it or let relatives photocopy it ... it'll take years to solve that mess ,in which time we'll likely decide that your a good guy and it would be a sin , and a hastle , to revoke it , EH ) ! :grin:

"O Canada! Our home and Native land, true patriot love, in all thy son's command. With glowing hearts, we see the rise, the true North, strong and free. From far and wide, O Canada, we stand on guard for thee! God keep our land, Glorious and free. O Canada, we stand on guard for thee! O Canada, we stand on guard for thee..."

divetat4ex.jpg

Forever and ever, Amen.

Ken.

It's a new idea from Immigration Canada : based on "3 -card Monty " , there is a passport hidden behind one of the maple leaves ( Leafs , if you're from Toronto ) -- guess the right one and you're in , like Flynn . You also get 2 other tries, to be fair . Hey ! We got a lotta space to fill , and snow to shovel ! Takers ? :cool: :laughing:

I'll take leaf number 3 for a 100 thanks Kevin. And I think I know the Canadian National Anthem, the amount of times I've heard Terrence and Philip sing it :laughing:

No one knows the words to the second verse of the Australian National Anthem and it sounds pathetic at public events (like ANZAC Day) where everyone sings the first verse then the second verse becomes and instrumental.

We didn't even get our own anthem for ages, we had to sing the British one.

I like the American National Anthem, I think it is beautiful and very patriotic.

Actually , that flag Ken posted more accurately reflects the true nature of Canada even better than the real one : Westerners , Easterners , and Quebec -- each quite different politically , philosophically , etc.

Katie , speaking of anthems we like/ dislike ( which was the original point of this thread , I think ) , I used to like the Soviet anthem ( I think Russia still uses it , after people complained about the new one ): a bit grandiose , dramatic and fun to march around your living room to in that sliding step , fist to breast , the military had . :grin:

I used to like the Soviet anthem ( I think Russia still uses it , after people complained about the new one ): a bit grandiose , dramatic and fun to march around your living room to in that sliding step , fist to breast , the military had . :grin:

That´s funny, I also like it a bit... maybe it reminds me on the old Soviert Army Choir singing popular Russian songs, which is one of my favorite tapes for the car, home, office, etc...

I must say that I played "La Marseillaise" on my stereo out lout when France lost the Football possibility to be the champions back in 1982... Germany won then, but Italy won the final title.

I also played it when France won in...1998?

I was very glad when Maradona did some trick and won the Argentinian championship many years ago but I wouldn´t play the Argentinian anthem...

The Brazilian national anthem1s first verse and chorus lingers for a full two minutes, during which there are three significant tempo changes while filled with long-winded, pompous lyrics that make the Star Spangled Banner sound like a catchy advertising jingle. Very militaristic anthem, which is surprising from a country that gave the world the bossa nova, cool contrapuntal beats and the thong bikini.

No, not that style, but the kind of music you would hear at Carnival. It would be very catchy.

Ahhh, understand now what you meant, Marc. Therein lies the irony. Brazilian music IS so full of life and energy; but its national anthem is one of the most boring melodies I have ever heard. Just mind-boggling. They should have asked Tom Jobim to write an anthem while he was still alive.

I used to like the Soviet anthem ( I think Russia still uses it , after people complained about the new one )

In the book Citizen Lazlo , Lazlo Toth (aka Don Novello, aka Father Guido Sarducci) suggested that each of the countries of the former Soviet Union use a Neil Diamond song as an anthem. Belarus, or was it Ukraine?, got Cracklin' Rosie, I think. He had specific songs ( Sweet Caroline , Song Sung Blue , etc.) selected for all the nations.

-----------------------------------

Citizen Lazlo is volume two of the even more highly recommended The Lazlo Letters. I particularly enjoyed Lazlo's exchanges with Mr. Bubble in the first book.

Anybody know their state songs?

(For those here in the States) Unless you have a specific song for your area of your country.

ALABAMA...

Alabama, Alabama, We will aye be true to thee,

From thy Southern shores where groweth,

By the sea thy orange tree.

To thy Northern vale where floweth,

Deep blue the Tennessee,

Alabama, Alabama, we will aye be true to thee!

Broad thy stream whose name thou bearest;

Grand thy Bigbee rolls along;

Fair thy Coosa-Tallapoosa

Bold thy Warrior, dark and strong,

Goodlier than the land that Moses

Climbed lone Nebo's Mount to see,

Little, little can I give thee,

Alabama, mother mine.

But that little - hand, brain, spirit.

All I have and am are thine.

Take, O take, the gift and giver.

Take and serve thyself with me.

Thats not all, its kinda long. Basic junk. I wish they would change it to Stars Fell on Alabama.

POST YOURS!

Georgia on My Mind

Written by: Stuart Gorrell

Composed by: Hoagy Carmichael

Georgia, Georgia, the whole day through

Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.

Georgia, Georgia, a song of you

Comes as sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines.

Other arms reach out to me

Other eyes smile tenderly

Still in peaceful dreams I see

The road leads back to you.

Georgia, Georgia, no peace I find

Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.

Melodies bring memories

That linger in my heart

Make me think of Georgia

Why did we ever part?

Some sweet day when blossoms fall

And all the world's a song

I'll go back to Georgia

'Cause that's where I belong.