Electric Light Orchestra

katie_sane

For a long time the only thing I'd heard by ELO was 'Hold On Tight' and I didn't like it that much. But I found an old ELO record the other day and upon further listening, I really, really like them! My favourite is 'Strange Magic'.

Who else is an ELO fan? What are your favourite songs by them? Can you recommed me any songs/albums? :D :D

Katie, here are some of my favorite ELO songs:

10538 Overture

Do Ya

Ma Ma Ma Belle

21st Century Man

All Over The World

Alright

Bitter Sweet

Boy Blue

Bluebird Is Dead

Can't Get It Out Of My Head

Don't Bring Me Down

El Dorado

Evil Woman

Flowers In The Rain

Hello

Heartbreaker

In The Hall Of The Mountain King

Kuiama

Lights Go Down

Livin' Thing

Midnight Blue

Mr. Blue Sky

Mr. Radio

My Woman

Rockaria

Rain Is Falling

Roll Over Beethoven

Showdown

Strange Magic

Sweet Talking Woman

Telephone Line

Time After Time

Turn To Stone

Twilight

Underture

....and more, but these are tops.

You can find many of these on any hits collection, best ofs, etc.

I think they were pretty much Jeff Lynne and a backing group. From what I know, he wrote, arranged, sang and produced everything. And he was pretty amazing at it as well. "Mr. Blue Sky" is just ridiculous, in terms of creativity. And just when you think it's over that last riff comes in and the key changes.

I believe he also wrote most of The Traveling Wilburys stuff, or at least the big hits. Pretty good when you're in a band with Dylan, Petty and Harrison.

I think they were pretty much Jeff Lynne and a backing group. From what I know, he wrote, arranged, sang and produced everything. And he was pretty amazing at it as well. "Mr. Blue Sky" is just ridiculous, in terms of creativity. And just when you think it's over that last riff comes in and the key changes.

I believe he also wrote most of The Traveling Wilburys stuff, or at least the big hits. Pretty good when you're in a band with Dylan, Petty and Harrison.

they were more than just an average backing band...classically trained musicians just ripping up their violins, cellos, etc...along with the traditonal instruments.

ELO is the only band I ever saw from the front row. Madison Square Garden (opening act Thin Lizzy). Seeing them play from that vantage point was something...Jeff Lynne blended into the background, which is his style. He let the boys step out and showcase their talents.

I didn't mean to slight to other members of the group - I just don't really know much about ELO. I keep meaning to learn more, as I really think some of their stuff is amazing, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

I thought about looking into concert tickets recently, but I think that whole reunion tour got scrapped due to lackluster ticket sales. Isn't that depressing?

I guess for a band to stick around for 30+ years (see the Stones, McCartney) you really need a charismatic personality in there somewhere. Jeff Lynne has never seemed very "interesting", I guess. I personally like that, because it really doesn't make a difference if the music's great. Anyhoo, tangent over.

Thanks for all the info :thumbsup:

So far I've got about three quarters of Uncle's list and still going :D

Jeff Lynne is incredible...the songs sound so complex, there's so much to them. His voice sounds so much like George Harrison's in some songs, no wonder the Traveling Wilbury's worked so well.