Albums Or CD's

Sweet Jane 61

A good friend I have here at work in music collector...he collects everything from 45's to memorbilia. He and I were talking about how we miss albums, ok CD's have great sound, but remember buying and album, getting home and pulling out the sleeve hoping for a picture and or lyrics...reading all the liner notes? Sure CD's come with the booklet sleeve but there is just something about an album, it has more character. I still from time to time pull one out and play it, sure it sounds scratchy but I can remember how it got those scratches from playing it over and over, and how the cover looks worn...albums are like friends, they age with you and may look worn but you don't see the wrinkles and lines. So what do you all think?

I love albums... I still have some...500 or so... maybe more... I had over 4000 many years ago but no room to keep them, moving, friends, etc. I sold, lost, gave them... but we still have a good turntable and yesterday I could hear some of my old Jefferson Airplane/Bob Seger/J.J.Cale scratches.

Oh, he surely will... we all do... :laughing: "You can check out anytime you like but you can never leave"...

I´m not collecting, I had records I bought for the last 35 years or more and then also promo stuff, so I kept what I like and got rid of the rest...

I don't have a record player, but my dad's record collection is in my closet for some reason, so here are what I imagine the pros and cons of CDs and albums are

CDs

pros: better sound, you can burn CDs, you can take them places, you can listen to them on the road

cons: they scratch easily, usually don't come with fun liner notes or posters or anything, expensive

Records

pros: cheaper than CDs (I assume), sometimes come with fun stuff, easy to store (if you have a good sized box)

cons: worse sound, you can only listen to them at home

I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to go with CDs though, for burning reasons.

I love records! I was ripped off being born in 1984, I can tell you that. When I started getting into music, records were a thing of the past.

I agree with Jane, Edna, Uncle and Marc. Records are such a personal thing, they're really yours. The artwork on most of them is incredible. Mum and Dad have given me their record player and the records that they had left (they chucked a heap) and I am going to collect them. Mum gave me her copy of Elton John's 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' and it is just a beautiful album, with the artwork and the music.

My friends and I sometimes pool our parent's record collections and go to someone's house and put them on. Our parents laugh at us, but I bet they think it's great we get so much value out of their old albums.

I have a bunch of vinyl from my family. Most of it is my grandfather's classical music. Some instrumentals on the guitar, sax, etc. And then there are the odd Eagles or Blondie albums I come across. Unfortunately, the turntable don't work no more. So I'm left staring at them longingly. There aren't that many... my music collection, though larger than most people's, is inny-winny compared to you all :bow: :bow:

I grew up in the 90s...I was raised around CDs and I just recently got into the album thing. I have to say...CDs are more portable. However, I love albums so much more. With a CD you don't get the slight crackle...you don't get those little minor imperfections. It just sounds way to crisp for me, besides....on the Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band CD you don't get that endless bit of gibberish at the end of "A Day In The Life". Sure, you get maybe 10 seconds of it, but it's not the same. Supertramp's "Logical Song" just doesn't sound right on CD, and Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen....no comparison. I guess it all depends on where you want to listen to your music.

Albums were just so much better, to me anyway, and that may be just a nostalgia thing who knows? CDs just are not the same. Albums were very personal things.

I think this discussion will be divided by age. Most youngers raised without albums will fail to see the draw of albums, and thier cover art, liners, promos, etc.

'Cept Katie of course!! :)

Some years ago I still had my old stereo from the seventies (I also have a good stereo equipment from the 80s) and we played my Beatles mono albums on it... the sound was awesome... of course, not better than a cd but that was THE sound... obviously, I also have all the Beatles cds too.

I love records! Sadly I grew (or still grow) up in a period where CDs are the real thing...Though I did have one or two records when I was a child, with children's stories on them. Does that count?

I bought myself exactly two albums until now, because they're so expensive, otherwise I would've gotten a load more. And besides, I haven't got a record player.

Yes. I sold many records over the last few yars as I had no room for a collection and I must say that it´s not exactly cheap. I mean, I sell my records to some people who sell them for twice the money they gave me. But anyways, I just get rid of music I don´t like.