Webb Wilder - It Came From Nashville

CanAm

I hadn't even heard of Webb Wilder until 2 months ago. At that time, my cousin sent me a tape he had made containing a variety of rock and roll and rockabilly tunes he thought I would like. Included on this tape was a cover of "Baby Please Don't Go" recorded by Webb Wilder and the Beatnecks. I was floored. Wilder's version flat out rocked!! The guitar work was amazing. I immediately went online and ordered a copy of It Came From Nashville from CD Now. I had high hopes for this CD, and I was not disappointed.

This album was originally released in 1987. This re-mastered version released last year includes the original live tracks and some bonus material recorded at about the same time.

In addition to Webb Wilder who plays guitar and is the lead vocalist, the band includes Jimmy Lester on drums, bassist Denny Blakely and Donny "The Twangler" Roberts on lead guitar.

Roberts is a fantastic guitarist and his work on this CD is nothing short of amazing. He really makes his Telecaster sing on rockers like "How Long Can She Last", "Move On Down The Line", "Keep It On Your Mind" and "I'm Burning".

There really isn't a weak number on this CD. Although some of the material on It Came From Nashville has a country-rock feel to it, most of the tunes are just good old rock and roll played at breakneck speed. For the sake of comparison, Wilder and his band sound like a cross between Dave Edmunds and The Georgia Satellites with a little Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers thrown in for good measure.

If you like hard-driving rock and roll and great guitar work with a dash of wit and whimsy, I heartily recommend this CD.