Sticky Fingers- Rolling Stones

edna

I thought I would translate a review I already did in 78 for a magazine when they asked some new critics to review our favorite album... but then I saw mine is one full page so I´ll make some rough skecth of it and I´d love to see what you people think of this album too...

Sticky Fingers was released in 1971, the first of the new Rolling Stones label with the famous tongue. Mick Taylor was a full Stones member by then; for me, the best Stones era, as Taylor was the guitar player that made them jump to that speecial music level. The sound is getting bigger, soul style ("I got the blues"), softly psychedelic ("Sway", "Moonlight Mile") and rock, very solid rock ("Bitch", "Brown Sugar", "Dead Flowers").

For the first time, drugs seem to be a common subject along the tracks... "you got cocaine eyes" ("Can you hear me knocking"), "sister morphine", "I´ll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon" ("Dead Flowers"), "you got to mix it, you got to fix it" ("Bitch") "with the head full of snow" ("Moonlight mile") and so on. Keith Richards´ touch of vice is a genuine inspiration for this record.

For the first time, mostly every song has piano and horn arrangements which are a real journey to the senses... Jack Nietzche, Ian Stewart, Billy Preston, Bobby Keyes, Paul Buckmaster and even Ry Cooder (guitar in "Sister Morphine") are some of the session guys who enhance this magic album... a masterpiece.

Please, Sticky Fingers fans, make a better review than mine!!! i long to read you!!

Andy Warhol´s cover was banned by the censorship in Spain. They also eliminated "Sister Morphine"... I never had the censored album (I use to get promo copies or buy them in France) but I heard that Keith Richards found the cover quite good and even suggested the record could be re-released worldwide with this cover just for collectors. front1du.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As a result of your excellent review, Edna my dear, I just ordered the CD of Sticky Fingers (along with ones by Webb Wilder and Southern Culture On The Skids) from an online vendor. I have several Rolling Stones albums, but for some reason, I never got around to buying Sticky Fingers. Now I've rectified that oversight.

It's ironic that the censors in Spain banned the song Sister Morphine. If they thought that was bad, they would have flipped at the lyrics to such songs as Where The Boys Go and the original album version of Some Girls.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I just ordered the CD of Sticky Fingers...

It's ironic that the censors in Spain banned the song Sister Morphine. If they thought that was bad, they would have flipped at the lyrics to such songs as Where The Boys Go and the original album version of Some Girls.

:)

I got my SF cd too, Ian! ;) Some three weeks ago... I had two LPs and two tapes -which must be in the car or god knows in what friend´s house- but one cannot live without that piece of music!! :laughing:

The censorship for Sticky Fingers was in the early seventies, during Franco, all this has changed since the early 80s... Spain has become so modern... :shades: