News from Bizarro World

bazooka

from Scoop e-newsletter:

Many of you out there may claim to be real comic book fans, but how many of you have gone so far as to name your child after your favorite character?

Actor Nicholas Cage threw down the gauntlet this week with the birth of his son Kal El Coppola Cage. Presumably, young Kal El arrived in the traditional manner, and not from Krypton in a rocket ship.

What's your opinion? Is naming your child after a comic book (or other fantasy) character crossing the line? Or is it the wave of the future?

and from Reuters:

Mon Oct 3, 2005 .. LOS ANGELES - Oscar-winning actor Nicolas Cage's wife of 14 months gave birth on Monday to the couple's first child together, a son they named Kal-el -- a moniker recognized by comic book fans as the birth name of Superman.

Cage is known as an avid comic book devotee who once sold his personal collection, including a copy of Superman's 1938 pulp debut, at auction for more than $1.6 million.

The nephew of famed filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola, the actor adopted his own stage surname from the Marvel Comics superhero Luke Cage.

Cage.jpg

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"Bizarro" was the word that came to mind tonight when John Stewart and Stephen Colbert each dedicated a huge chunk of their shows to Glenn Beck. You see, I used to work with Glenn Beck when he was running a radio station (and morning show host) and I was a DJ.

Would like to say that I knew he'd be famous, but I thought it was much more likely that he'd be managing a Pizza Hut by now. But he connected with listeners in this weird way, and looking back I can see how he evolved into the creature he is today. Radio people tend to be a little off-kilter, but these are often the folks who stand out.