Red Rocker or Diamond Dave?

Mike

This is been one of the longest running debates among my peers. I have found myself standing alone (or Standing Hampton if you will) for more often times than not.

I believe Sammy took Van Halen to the next level in rockin'.

I loved the Hagar-meister long before he became VH's front man. Who can forget "Can't get loose", "Baby's on fire" and "I can't drive 55" and "I'll fall in love again"?

Sammy joining VH and I was one who suggested changing their name to Van Hagar in honor of the red rocker.

5150 was an incredible album. I great balance of soft and hard rock, then came a true classic OU812

greats like "When it's love" ,"Cabo Wabo" and "Black and blue".

The Red rocker definitively wins the Sam or Dave choice for me. With Dave VH was good, with Sammy they were LEGENDARY!

Rock on

~ Mike

David Lee Roth is an ego maniac. He was then and is now always "on". David made Van Halen's initial success in my opinion - he had a certain style that men and woman liked. Without David Lee Roth the band would never have been as successful from the 70's to 80's. I do think David was hurt when they accepted that award. I do think that Dave believed, and was led to believe there would be a reunion. I think he was messed with big time, which isn't nice. Eddie stated, "We never SAID....!" No but he implied it loudly enough and never DIDN'T say either. But Dave isn't so pretty anymore - he is rather washed up.

Sammy Hagar - he isn't someone I was all that familiar with, except for maybe 3 songs (which I liked), but I saw him as being cool. I did not go for his style, but maybe a change in style was the point - necessary to take VH to another level. Sammy could sing, and he gave VH another type of sound. He made VH successful too - from the 80's to the 90's! Why was HE let go? Sammy will do okay though.

Now let's look at Eddie Van Halen. Whenever I see him on TV I want to flick him in the forehead! He is a bas***d! He is a an egomaniac, a control freak and a difficult whining baby. That makes it easier to see why the first 2 singers are gone and why Gary Cherone never stepped up to the mike. Why Gary anyway? But that's neiter here nor there.

My pick is anyone but Eddie Van Halen!

I'm a fan of both incarnations of Van Halen. I believe that Sammy took them to the next level. Dave was great and his personality really stood out, but sometimes I believe his ego got bigger than the band. With Dave, I always considered Van Halen to be a garage band with a record contract. Very loose and a lot of fun. When Sammy came aboard, I believe it allowed Van Halen to mature. The songs were tighter, plus they were allowed to do songs that couldn't be done because of Dave's limited vocal range.

I've heard Dave fans complain about the direction the music took when Sammy came aboard. I read that most of those songs were ones that Eddie has laying around that they couldn't record with Dave either because of his vocal range or his disdain for keyboard-led songs. To quote from another message board: "Can you imagine David Lee Roth trying to sing 'Dreams'?"

• 9 months later...

Mike, you are on the money. My preference for pre-Van Hagar is something I've always wondered about given the fact that Van Hagar was far more professional and polished than Van Halen. But you see, it was David Lee Roth that made Van Halen so I've always felt that after he left, what was left of Van Halen was basically the cadillac that had just blown it's motor. They should have changed their name when Hagar came and took them to the next level.

The Red Rocker is a far, FAR better musician and singer. Anyone ever heard of Montrose?

Diamond Dave was a performer and a very good one. Dave didn't sing, he talked. I'd rather listen to The Rocker but would rather watch Dave. But I'd much rather listen to pre-Hagar, that is if I'm ever to think I'm listening to Van Halen.

Sammy Hagar never needed Van Halen. Van Halen needed him.

Diamond Dave works both ways, he needs Van Halen and vice versa.

Of course, the music industry cares not of preference, their only concern is money. Remember, people will buy anything. Just browse Ebay.

In conclusion, The Red Rocker can sing any song better than Dave. But Dave can perform any song better than the Rocker. When I think of Van Halen, I think of Running With the Devil, not Why Can't This Be Love.

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"You know you're semi-good looking, and on the streets again.

Ooh yeah, you think you're really cooking, baby;

you'd better find yourself a friend, my friend.

Ain't talkin' 'bout love, my love is rotten to the core.

Ain't talkin' 'bout love, just like I told you before, before, before."

Sammy Hagar may have a better voice, Dave may be an a**hole, but the truth is Dave's a better frontman and Van Halen's songs were wayyyyyy better when Dave was with them.

And I'm oh so surprised that nobody mentioned that the Extreme guy was better than both of them. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: :afro: