Your Era

Sweet Jane 61

I don't know why this has been on my mind so much latley, probably due to the fact we are doin a daily tribute to John Lennon until December 8th...anyway...would you change the era in which you were a teen-ager? I was one in the 70's and loved every minute...but I longed to be in the 60's. To be a teen then I would have loved it...I have always been outspoken and fought for the underdog so to speak and have a free spirit. I feel I missed out on a time where I think I would have fit in with no doubts. So tell me dear friends...would you want to change that time in your life??

Never would I change. I'm a baby boomer born in 1946. I was a child of the 50's and became a man in the 60's. The 60's were unbelievable. People just cared about people and weren't reluctant to show it. It came across in everything. The music, literature, politics and personal relationships.

If I could do so without relinquishing what I've attained since the 60's I'd gladly go back for one more turn. I'd sing My Back Pages and Oo La La

and relive what surely must have been a dream.

The parties, the thought provoking discussions, the moratoriums, the parties (yeah, I know), the poetry recitals in coffee houses (leftover from the 50's), the jazz, the rock, the folk, the folk-rock, the love-ins, the political conflict, the upheaval and assasinations...all made for exciting, exhilarating times. And some awesome memories.

I'd need a slightly larger pair of worn out denims. Give me back my hair down to here and my youthful athletic frame and set me loose on 'em.

They don't stand a chance.

My teen years were 1996 - 2002 and yes I do get slightly nostalgic (as much as you can at this age) about what songs I listened to when I was at school and what was playing in the clubs when I was 15/16, but the music just lacks feeling for me. I constantly wish I was a teenager during the 80's. The whole era appeals to me!

I was 12 in 1968...just old enough to wish I were old enough!! To do so many things I saw around me, the things Joe mentioned above! In the 70's we had fun, I loved it, and wouldn't trade it for the world. I've always kind of felt badly for the ones that came after,(my kids could only imagine what my life was) cause we had a ball!! ;)

I´m just like CeeCee, I was a 11 in 67 but had older friends, and friend´s older sis&bros, so the summer of love, the drugs, Paris 68, Sgt Peppers, Beggar´s Banquet or Woodstock were really the things that impressed me so much I HAD to get me the records, the magazines, see the films, etc. Fortunately, my dad was a liberal showbiz journalist and he would take good care of my education... :):) He gave me the first Beatles single in 63, brought home all the new trends and just loved to watch his children be so curious. Besides, being in a French International School we were aways getting ideas and information of everything happening worldwide. Maybe I would have loved to be some 3 or 4 years older, but I guess my time was nearly perfect and I was an adult, leaving my independent life by the early/mid seventies.

I was a kid in the 90s... I was an avid Def Leppard, Guns n' Roses etc. fan when I was 6-7. But I couldn't really appreciate it then. So I wouldn't mind having been a little older then so I could remember more. Even though I'm getting to rediscover everything I can't remember. It's like being Jason Bourne!

I was a teen from 1997 to 2004. I had a fantastic time as a teenager but if I could have I'd have loved to be a teen in the 60's or 70's.

The music of my era was fairly ordinary (with a few exceptions) but nothing I could really get into. I'd have definitely wanted to be back where it was all happening as long as I could take all my friends with me.

Well, I'm the same age as Jane, and I enjoyed the 70's.....and always will be stuck in the 70's....I loved the music, but as I got older I started really liking the 60's....As a teen I really dont remember listening to 60's music, just what was current at that time....I enjoyed going to many concerts, hanging out with friends..I remember, who ever could get a car, we would go crusin and looking for boys, parties, or basically just having fun....going to school events, getting into trouble...(not too much trouble though)....I also enjoy watchin "That 70's Show)....each character in that show, I can relate to each of my friends that were just like them....It was a very fun time, and It's amazing how fast the years go by....I wouldn't change it a bit...It's nice to hold on to those memories....

I was a teen from '64 - '70

:rockon:

and living in Los Angeles at the time.

At age 12, I was skateboarding and listening to the Beach Boys, who grew up just down the road in Huntington Beach.

Then everything changed in November '63, but from the ashes just 2 months later...

the Beatles invaded America in Feb. '64.

Talk about wild and crazy.

Things really changed when I started to drive in '67.

I missed the Sunset Strip riots of '66 and the Summer of Love, but I started cruisin

the Strip and going to concerts since 1968.

We had to answer questions like -

Well, do you want to go see this dynamite new band called

Led Zeppelin over at the Ice House in Pasadena ? Jimmy Page from the Yardbirds is the guitarist.

I was always fascinated with the 50's and 60's when I was growing up as a child of the 80's. I would have given anything to be a young adult in the 60's. Now, I'm really glad of my era; especially with the 80's revival that came about a while ago. I did notice that whilst all the fashion came back - ra ra skirts, and even shoulder pads for the die-hard fashion victims, not one item of da-glow clothing was seen! I ADORED my florecent pink skirt!!

The music of early 90's was fantastic too - Brit-Pop at its best with Blur, Oasis, Stone Roses etc.

(Still wish I could have been a flower child though!)

I graduated in 1982. Growing up in the 70's, had a lot of good music to cut my teeth on. Fleetwood Mac, Boston, Aerosmith, KISS, etc.

I also had to survive disco. But now, 25 years later, I don't mind it. It has a nostalgic value.

I think, though, I probably would have like to have grown up in the 40's. (although I probably would have been on an LST in the English Channel or island hopping in the south Pacific).

There is a lot of rich music to come from that era. Betty Hutton, The Ames Brothers, Hoagy Carmichael, Doris Day, Les Brown, Glenn Miller, Louis Prima, Benny Goodman, Art Lund, The Andrews Sisters. Oh man, what a great era.

The singers sang, and the musicians played. No effects, no screaming or distortion. Everyone had talent. There was no way to fake it, like there is today. You listen to a song from the 40's, and you're going to hear honest vocals and real musicianship. There was no 'image first'. It was music first.

Well, do you want to go see this dynamite new band called

Led Zeppelin over at the Ice House in Pasadena ? Jimmy Page from the Yardbirds is the guitarist.

I grew up in South Pasadena and have been to the Ice House many times. It has been a comedy house as long as I can remember. I never knew they had bands play there! Ofcourse, I did not start going there until the mid 80's...