London Calling - The Clash

Tenacious_Peaches

Everyone seems to have a different opinion as to what defines "punk" but almost everyone points to the Clash when discussing it. "London Calling" was the seminal double album that put them on the map. They used the lyrics to describe their social and political views and they used the music to experiment in different genres.

The title track starts out with "London calling to the faraway towns/ Now that war is declared-and battle come down/ London calling to the underworld/ Come out of the cupboard, all you boys and girls" and you have an idea of the punk disillusionment to come.

The genius of the Clash is the way they combine the hard hitting lyrics of "The Guns of Brixton" with the almost laid back feel of the reggae beats. Even a seemingly silly little tune like "Lost in the Supermarket" has such lyrics like "I wasn't born so much as I fell out/ Nobody seemed to notice me/ We had a hedge back home in the suburbs/ Over which I never could see."

And then to close the album, completely out of left field, you have a top 40 pop hit like "Train in Vain".

"London Calling" is a spectacular album full of thought provoking lyrics, musical diversity, and even a few numbers to shake your rump to while considering the downfall of civilization. Not bad, huh?

• 3 weeks later...

awesome, incredible, unbelievably good album. not a single weak song on the whole thing. "london calling", "hateful", "lost in the supermarket", "death or glory", "train in vain", only some of my favorite songs from london calling. and i garuntee when you first hear "lover's rock" you'll think, "did they really just say that?" i'm not sure, but i think they do.