Tapestry - Carole King

Tenacious_Peaches

Carole King started her career by writing pop songs in the 60s (some with her husband at the time Gerry Goffin) for such acts as the Shirelles, the Drifters, the Chiffons and Aretha Franklin. But in 1971 she released "Tapestry" and changed her title from songwriter to singer/songwriter. The album won 4 Grammys and yielded such hits as "I Feel The Earth Move", "So Far Away", and "It's Too Late". There are also 3 of Carole's renditions of songs she had written for other artists - "Natural Woman" for Aretha Franklin, "You've Got A Friend" for James Taylor and "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow?" for the Shirelle's. Her version of "Will You Still Love Me" has a much more adult feel than the girl group's.

What a great album ~ it's poppy, soulful, and has stood the test of time. I remember my mother playing this when I was a little girl, and all these years later, I am still playing it.

One of the greatest albums of all time in MHO. Great choice Peaches.

At one time (perhaps still) Tapestry held the record for years that an album stayed on the charts.

One minor correction if I may. Carole didn't actually write the song You've Got A Friend for JT. They were appearing at a show together and JT heard her playing and singing the song in rehearsals. He asked her if he could sing it and she gave it to him. He had a way with singer/songwriters as you know.

I also love the songs Beautiful and Where You Lead from that LP.

At the same time that Carole's Tapestry was on the charts Don McLean released an album with the same exact title. It was also a great album with songs like Castles In The Air, Magdalene Lane, And I Love You So, Respectable and No Reason For Your Dreams. Check it out if you can.

b00000j2ph01lzzzzzzz4fi.jpg

Great idea and great review, Peaches!!! And I would say "I will follow" is my favorite song if I could choose one... it´s such a beautifull record!

She had two previous albums but this one was the big hit, "You got a friend" helped a lot... her version is basically piano while JT´s in on guitar.

I´d love to write record reviews again but I guess my English is really short, not only broken, to express all I could feel and know... :)

Does this bring back memories thinking of this album! I remember when my Mom bought if for me, I was so thrilled. I played it so much on my little record player. I still have the album but had to buy on CD to listen to everywhere. I was immediately taken with Smackwater Jack! Then I fell in love with Back Home, Way Over Yonder, Natural Woman...and the rest. I loved the hits but favored those the most. An album a true music lover must have in their collection! Great musicians on the album...James Taylor, Russ Kunkel, Joni Mitchell...just to name a few. I am so going home and putting this in my CD player...my baby girl needs to hear this album!!

• 1 month later...

i love this album. it really captures an era in time (although i can't know for sure since it was before my time!). like you peaches, my mum loves this album and that's how i got to know it too. when i was in munich last year i was watching the virgin suicides on tv in german and during the scene where the kids play songs down the phone to eachother they play 'so far away'. i immediately started crying because i did feel so far away from home. i listened to the album alot because it reminded me of my mum and home.

An amazing album Tapestry is, Carole King singing with soul and being sweet and gentle also. Her voice is such a wonderful gift and the words that come from within her soul and heart we are blessed to have had her share them with us. This is an album that does stand the test of time. She is a beautiful spirit and I wish we were hearing more from her today.