When music speaks louder than words

jman14141414

Mryan's post made me think about something.

What are some songs that "touch" you in some way withOUT lyrics(such as a great guitar solo or a classical piece etc.)

A more difficult question is what JR asked, why does it move you? And I can't think of answer to that...

Here are some songs that "touch" me in that way(off the top of my head):

Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto in D, Allegro Moderato played by Heiftez

Beethovin's 7th, Allegretto

The solo to Machine Gun and The Star Spangled Banner-Hendrix

Three O' Clock Blues-Clapton/BB King

i have in the past recommended the soundtrack of "requiem for a dream ", which i find incredibly emotional, but some could argue it brings back images from the movies, which would explain it

however, i find mogwai quite depressing, which are instrumental with some vocals (i believe it's called post rock?), and i'm sure there are more examples of emotive music that i can't think of right now

i think there are scientific studies on the effect of music to the brain which could provide some answers

The instrumentals from bands like Symphony X and Nightwish are superb. They stir up something very emotional and exciting in your soul. They give you a boost of passion, you want to dance or sing, it's most compelling!

My favourite instrumental collection classic-wise, has to be Vivaldi's 4 Seasons. I can't think of 4 pieces that work as well together as they do. They sound lost on their own, but played in sequence, there are perfect.

I also like artists who have a lot of instrumental tracks on their albums. Air, Jesse Cook, Moby, Royksopp, Cafe Del Mar etc. In fact, I have quite a number of albums that are 99%-100% instrumental.

Cafe Del Mar, especially the ones mixed by Jose Padilla, are so sensual, relaxing, comforting and hypnotic. Something about the instrumentals draws more attention to the sounds and the feelings without the distraction of the words. Not that I don't love vocals and lyrics, but sometimes you lose the impact of the melody when they are present.

I have quite a passion for trip-hop, which also uses heavy instrumental pieces and beats for the base of the song, with vague or limited vocals which do produce a "trance" like atmosphere. Which brings me to another love of mine, drum and bass.

D&B also makes use of instrumentals to carry the heavy drum beats, also very heady and hypnotic. There's almost a feeling of less pressure when listening to it, you move with the rhythm and are drowned in the sound. Hours seem like minutes, time is infinite, you are weightless.