Terror Strikes Bali Again

katie_sane

Suicide bombers have been blamed for the string of attacks that ripped through Bali last night killing 25 people, including three Australians, and injuring scores more.

Indonesian anti-terror chief Major General Ansyaad Mbai said the three suicide attackers went into packed restaurants on the resort island last night wearing explosive vests.

The remains of their bodies were found at the scenes, he said "I have seen them. All that is left is their head and feet," AP reported Maj-Gen. Ansyaad Mbai as saying.

"By the evidence we can conclude the bombers were carrying the explosives around their waists."

He said two Malaysian fugitives were suspected of masterminding the strikes.

The Malaysian terrorists believed to have built the Bali bombs three years ago, Azahari Husin and Noordin Top, are still on the run.

A 16-year-old from Perth was confirmed dead this morning and officials at Bali's Sanglah Hospital have said a Newcastle woman and a man whose home town was not listed had also died in the blasts.

Five Australians are listed as missing and at least two Australian men were being evacuated to Singapore with serious shrapnel wounds.

Australian witnesses spoke of scenes of carnage, panic and distress at the sites of the attacks and in the hospitals afterwards.

Australian cameraman Sean Mulcahy said the scene at the hospital could "only be described as something out of a war-zone."

"There was blood covering the entire floor... people were being resuscitated on the floor in the waiting room, people with limbs missing... it was utter chaos," he said on Sky News.

Australia believes Jemaah Islamiah — the group blamed for the October 12, 2002 Kuta nightclub bombings that killed 202 people, including 88 Australians — is likely responsible for the attacks.

In the latest bombings, the first blast tore through the Raja restaurant in the shopping district of Kuta at 7.30pm local time (9.30pm AEST).

Minutes later, two explosions ripped through a pair of beachfront restaurants 30km away in the picturesque fishing village of Jimbaran.

Source: NineMsn

one of my best friends was in bali just two weeks ago. i'm so glad she's home safe. it's funny, i was so shocked when i heard, it's kind of like i didn't expect terrorists to hit there again. it just goes to show, there's no predicting what will happen. my sympathy is with all the victims' families.

Terrorists will hit the same place as many times as it takes to complete their objective. Bali is a target because it is a favorite spot for Westerners to vacation. Terrorist's are also very patient and will wait until the time is right. The time is right when they can successfully carry out their bombing. Look how long it took them to make a second attempt an the World Trade Center. In 8 years, they had come up with a "bigger and better" plan, conducted the necessary training and carried out the plan. I have no doubt that if their plan did not work in 2001, they would have tried again when the time was right. Sadly, we have not seen the last of this type of incident.

You are right, Katie, it is terrible. It is too bad it is as easy as it is to get the supplies to make the bombs, have someone make the bombs, then find someone who is fired up enough to blow themselves up in that part of the world. I can imagine security will tighten up there, at least for a while. If they are smart and want to keep their tourists coming, they will.

I agree , Marc , Indonessia ( like Pakistan) has to get off the fence , if they want to move toward ending these types of incidents. Both governments officially condemn terrorism , but internal dissent within each country and their own governments, as well as sympathies toward the some of the terrorist's justifications , make their efforts half-hearted and often inneffective . To many fundamentalists as well as poor or average Indonesians , Bali can be portrayed as a 'Western' colonial-like outpost . The government needs to state , unequivically , that this is not so , stand by it , and they will take harsh measures against any who advocate otherwise . If they are unwilling to do so , Bali or Indonesia shouldn't be on anyone's vacation plans for the near future -- the resulting drop in foreign capital/ investment will hit hard . I'd hate to hurt Bali in the short-run , but what else could be done ?

However, at the same time , the police , hotels/bars/etc. and Westerners could help downplay the negative image of 'decadent ' tourists ( which is very real there ) by clamping down on the drugs and wild , hedonistic parties, and the like, which do offend conservative ( not necessarily fundamentalist ) Muslims in Indonesia. An improvement of the image of the Bali tourist would further detract from sympathies for the terrorists. Singapore has long and successfully done this . Though not necessarily 'a gas' , by most young people's definition , Singapore is both safe and enjoyable for most who go there.

I agree with Kevin and Marc. Terrorists choose 'soft' targets because operations are easiest to conduct for all manner of reasons, availabilty of explosives and 'carriers' being fundamental in this instance. The other major factor here is the lack of effective intelligence on the part of the Indonesian security services. In the West most anti-terrorism measures are covert and intelligence-lead as opposed to via a visible security presence, and to achieve this requires years of 'mixing' with the groups and communities involved on an international level, something the Indonesian security services probably haven't been able to achieve yet.

Unfortunately as Kevin rightly says, the image portrayed by Westerners in Bali doesn't help, and one can understand how resentment exists that can be magnified by 'brainwashing' techniques on the part of the terrorist leadership.

The West needs to understand the reasons for this resentment and do something positive to counter it before this sort of incident will stop IMO.

Regards

I agree with you boys about the 'western tourist' type image. Bali is a favourite of Australian tourists, it is geographically close and relatively inexpensive. 'Decadent' is the right word. A lot of Australias who visit Bali aren't exactly respectful. All they want to do (in the main) is get drunk and thus wreak havoc. The resentment of the Indonesians is almost palpable.

While there has been no terrorist attacks on Australian soil (yet), the attacks on Bali have been viewed as good as. There is no stopping it and I feel that an attack in mainland Australia is on its way, given our support of the Americans and British.

The Prime Minister was on tv tonight, saying that our own terror level is on 'medium' as there isn't a bigger concentration of terror groups existing within Australia as what there is in Indonesia. That raises the whole issue of 'home grown' terrorists as was the case with the Brits.

Dont forget, Katie, that Al Qaeda has already announced that Australia and Los Angeles are to be their next "big attacks." Remember that you have to be aware of your surroundings. If you see a backpack/package/briefcase left on it's own in an area where people are massed, get out of there and call a cop. Same for people wearing bulky or too much clothing for the weather. It sounds funny, but also look closely at people who's head is too small for their body. Many bombers wear vests that make them look portly. Follow you instincts, they may save you.