Do Music Videos Change Your Outlook

PSYCHOcatholic

I watched the video for Interpol's "Evil" the other day. I've never been able to figure out what's going on in that song, and the video confused me even more, which may have been the point. In the video, there is a creepy puppet singing the song at an accident scene. For some reason, I couldn't take my eyes off of it.

I don't like watching or listening to "When September Ends" by Green Day ever since I watched the video. I've completely gone off the song since I saw the video. A friend was killed in action, and until I watched the video I hadn't really interpreted the lyrics in any way.

Is there actually a channel where you can see videos??

I know back in the 80's I used to watch MTV religiously. If a song came out that I liked, I couldn't wait to see the video. It seemed like more of an "event" back then. I don't even care anymore.

To answer the question, the video rarely affects my fondness of a song. To me, a music video is more of an expression of the director instead of the artist.

there's mtv and it's various channels (eg here in the uk mtv2 is "alternative"), then i believe if you have satellite tv you get various things like Q and kerrang and vh1. personally i have digital tv and it has a few crappy music channels that plays crappy hits and nothing else which is why I never watch music tv

I get THREE music channels which have a chance of showing me international music. Of them Vh1 is the only one that shows solely international music. And since most of it is the newer stuff, I'm led to rely on Classic which I catch every night and whenever else I can. The other two show good songs late at night. MTV is the worst of the lot, though a few months back it used to show really good songs into the night.

Radio? Hah! There are 4 main stations. Only one of them has the potential to play any good songs. it's the best of the lot because it covers everything including classical music. However, the only time they play good songs is 3 hours a week that I know of and some odd hours at night.

It's a wonder I know as much as I do!

This is a tough one. I love music so much that I just make up in my mind what the song is about. Some videos are way out there and some seem to go with the song. I prefer just to listen. I can put on headphones and get lost in music. That's just me!

That´s funny, I thought I was the only one who doesn´t really like videos that much... I have no channel TV and there´s no music shows where I live, but I´ve spent years watching all kind of videos for profesional reasons... and I feel that what I like the most is watching the artists perform.

Yet videoclips have been a great way to express creativity, but I still prefer to listen to the music rather than watching special effects and things like this.

No you're not the only one Edna...I dont really enjoy the videos either...I'd rather just listen to the song...I do like the videos that show footage of the bands in concert, or live, or old footage videos of The Beatles, Stones...etc...I could do without all the special effect type of videos.

For a kick I recommend that you rent the DVD's of the old Shindig and Hullabaloo TV shows from the mid to late 60's. Seeing groups like The Byrds, The Zombies, The Knickerbockers, Beau Brummels, Jerry and the Pacemakers, etc., etc. when they were in their primes is very interesting. Some of the acts that seemed so cutting edge at the time seem so mild in retrospect. It's just weird to see them looking so young. DVD's like the Monterey Pop Festival, Music Scene: The Best of 1969-1970 which features Joe Cocker, CCR, Isaac Hayes, BB King, Sly & The Family Stone, and more.

Netflix has most of these. Blockbuster is another source.

I don't like watching or listening to "When September Ends" by Green Day ever since I watched the video. I've completely gone off the song since I saw the video. A friend was killed in action, and until I watched the video I hadn't really interpreted the lyrics in any way.

Yeah, its kinda weird...i dont see how the lyrics match up in any way with the war going on. But, hey its Greenday, i dont think we are supposed to understand.

Oh and BTW Music DVD's are awesome. I got the new AC/DC set, an older Led Zeppelin and Queen.

Back in the Cretaceous Era, when music videos were popping up everywhere from TBS to BET, several made enough of an impression for a quest to find these artists. Film that accompanied Alex de Grassi's "Clockwork;" Jerry Goodman's "On The Future of Aviation;" Tangerine Dream's "Tiergarten;" Montreux's "To Be;" and John Schofield's "Still Warm" took me into used music CD shops hither and yon. Others were interesting to look at, but didn't result in a sale: Van Halen's "Jump;" Dance King Michael Jackson; Synchronicity Masters The Police; M.C. Hammer's "U Can't Touch This." But Santana's "Bella" did make an impression. Visuals can sell the music, but the music still has to stand on it's own. Something that Husker Du made very plain in their music video. :drummer:

Some of the more interesting people I've interviewed were the members of Devo. They would think up a video, then put a song together for it. They considered what they did performance art, and were the first American band to make highly produced videos. Considering this was 1980 and MTV didn't exist, I'd say they were way ahead of their time.

Check out the Songfacts for Whip It