Classic Rock Intros...

RonJonSurfer

I was wondering what your favorite classic rock intros were. You know, that guitar, vocal, drum, or whatever that makes you stop what you are doing and listen to the song. Some are short, some much longer, but all grab you by the throat and won't let you do anything but enjoy the song.

A couple of mine are by Eric Clapton. Ever since the first time I heard those intro notes to Layla I was hooked.

The same goes for Sunshine Of Your Love. So simple, so sweet. I'll never turn it off.

The Beatles "Revolution" intro tells me I'm in for a good time. That hard strum, thorugh distortion followed by that scream.

I'm a tidbit guy. I obsess on small bits of music, sometimes just one note. That's why short powerful intros thrill me.

So, what are your favorites?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one I thought of reading this was instantly Layla. I love that intro and always will. That intro was used going into the news on the local radio station that's been on the air 30+ years around here, KSHE. I've heard that for the entire 30 years!!

There are so many others, but I wouldn't be me if I didn't say my all time biggie is,of course, Satisfaction, by the Stones. Just that Da Da, Da Da Da, Da Da Da, and I'm done, stopped in my tracks every time!

"They don't even know what it is to be a fan. Y'know? To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts" - Sapphire, Almost Famous

Your post reminded me of that quote from the movie Almost Famous RonJon!

'Layla' is my favourite song of all time, so the intro to that would be my pick. I also love the others you mentioned.

I like the start of 'What Is Life' by George Harrison, the opening riff of 'Rebel Rebel' by Bowie and the beginning of '53rd & 3rd' by The Ramones. And the drums at the beginning of 'Love Gun' by Kiss.

There are a lot :D

"They don't even know what it is to be a fan. Y'know? To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts" - Sapphire, Almost Famous

Your post reminded me of that quote from the movie Almost Famous RonJon!

'Layla' is my favourite song of all time, so the intro to that would be my pick. I also love the others you mentioned.

I like the start of 'What Is Life' by George Harrison, the opening riff of 'Rebel Rebel' by Bowie and the beginning of '53rd & 3rd' by The Ramones. And the drums at the beginning of 'Love Gun' by Kiss.

There are a lot :D

Almost Famous is a wondeful movie. That line hits home.

Rebel Rebel..oh yes indeed...great. I've always been such a Bowie freak that I have a bunch of his...Hang On to Yourself, Suffragette City, Cracked Actor..it goes on..

There is another line from Almost Famous too that also reminds me of what you said about obsessing about small bits of music...

"But what it all comes down to is that thing. The indefinable thing when people catch something in your music" - Jeff Bebe, Almost Famous.

I love, love, love the start of 'Set Me Free' by The Kinks, it's one of the best. I could have the start on repeat.