Beatles - Let It Be

Mike

Let It Be - Songfacts

43335ec6d3808.jpg

Paul with his mother Mary and brother Michael

Born Mary Patricia Mohin, at 2 Third Avenue, Fazakerley, Liverpool, on the 29th of September 1909, diagnosed with cancer too late to for treatment, she died on the 31st of October 1956. She was the mother of Paul and Michael McCartney. Just before she died she told a friend: ‘I would love to have seen the boys growing up.’

Mary met Jim McCartney at the McCartney family home at 11 Scargreen Avenue, West Derby. Still a nurse at Walton Hospital, she was staying temporarily with Jim’s newly wed sister Jin and her husband, Harry. She was 31 years old and Jim was 39, the two were married at St Swithin’s Roman Catholic Chapel in Gill Moss, Liverpool.

Although Mary had been raised as a strict Roman Catholic, she married Jim, a Protestant, after promising that her children would be baptized Roman Catholics. Both her sons were baptized.

Mary was devoted to her sons and had wanted Paul to become a teacher. She was ambitious for both boys, wanting them to get on in the world, and gave Paul elocution lessons to rid him of his Scouse accent.

It was just after his mother’s death that Paul took up the guitar, which became an obsession with him. He was later to say: ‘You lose a mother —and you find a guitar.’

When I find myself in times of trouble

Mother mary comes to me

Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

And in my hour of darkness

She is standing right in front of me

Speaking words of wisdom, let it be.

Let it be, let it be.

Whisper words of wisdom, let it be.

And when the broken hearted people

Living in the world agree,

There will be an answer, let it be.

For though they may be parted there is