Iggy Pop

RonJonSurfer

Top Iggy Pop & The Stooges Albums

Before the New York Dolls, the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, The Clash, and before all of punk, there were The Stooges. Although laughed and slammed everywhere but in Detroit at first, the Stooges were signed by Danny Fields (who had signed another of the Motor Cities best exports, the MC5), who saw the future correctly projected through the raw, unpolished sound of Iggy & The Stooges and sent them out to show all what was to come. From Husker Du, to the Pixies into Green Day, the DNA of the Stooges remain.

1) The Stooges: Deluxe Edition

There's a quote that Iggy Pop gave to Dave Marsh of Creem in 1969--"Is It Bizarre Music or Merely Better Music?". Released the same week as the Woodstock Festival, ridiculed everywhere but Detroit, this record is the template for all the "bizarre/better" music that came later. "I Wanna Be Your Dog", "No Fun", "Real Cool Time" these are the tracks that were followed by the Ramones, the Sex Pistols, the Clash and so on---"It's 1969, ok!"

2) Fun House: Deluxe Edition

Described by Jack White as "the Greatest Rock 'n Roll record ever made", The Stooges raised the bar for "Funhouse" and from the opening bars of "Down On The Street", staked out a new territory and made their most fully realized recordings. "T.V. Eye", "Fun House", "1970" all burn their way through the speakers and your brain---"c'mon!" The second disc pulls alternate takes from that the ultimate set "The Stooges - 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions".

3) The Idiot

Iggy's first solo work, 1977's "The Idiot" was also his first collaboration with David Bowie who contributed two compositions, "Funtime" and "China Girl" that he later recorded himself. "Nightclubbing"and "Sister Midnight" also provide a valuable look at the transistional Iggy Pop.

"The Stooges didn't sell many records at the time, but lost kids around the world who tuned in, kids who started bands and gave themselves names like Ramone, Rotten, Vicious and Strummer in tribute."

-Rob Sehffield from Rolling Stone.

I loved Iggy and the Stooges, I saw Iggy live a couple of times and it was amazing

Lucky you. :o

Edited by Guest

I first got into the Stooges after hearing a compilation of unknown Australian bands doing covers. I taped it and wore it out. If any of our Aussie contributors know anything about this double album, I would be most grateful for a shout as I would love to get hold of a copy.

Regards

Could it be 'Hard To Beat: 21 Stooges Killers'??

Released around 1988, featuring Asylum, the Celibate Rifles, Exploding White Mice, Feedtime, the Girlies, God, Harem Scarem, the Hard-Ons, Hellmenn, Johnny Kannis, Magnolia Strip, ME 262, N.R.G, No Mans Land, the Plunderers, the Psychotic Turnbuckles, Raw Power, the Seminal Rats, Stress of Terror, Thrust and Vocal Lizard.

Because if it is, you are in luck. I have the cd :D

I can make you a copy if you like.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...