Question about the Burning Man Festival

audioslave

Larry Harvey (founder and chief spokesperson) once told a journalist that the Burning Man "Representing nothing, the Man becomes tabula rasa: any meaning may be projected onto him."

Q. What is Burning Man?

A. Burning Man is an annual experiment in temporary community dedicated to radical self-expression and radical self-reliance. Check out What Is Burning Man on this web site for more information, read the other articles on this site and visit other web sites for a broader understanding of the Burning Man event. Before you contemplate attending, you probably want to read our Survival Guide—it's not as easy as it looks! If you wish to truly understand and comprehend Burning Man, you need to attend the event - it's unlike anything you've ever experienced!

Burning Man is quite a fascinating event for anyone who sees themselves as an "artist" or "free spirit". The photographs from each year's gathering are always colourful and unusual, if not a touch weird. They started in 1986, and have run each year in the same spot without fail.

thanks ea and bluesboy - I had just been reading about Burning man and realized it was pretty close to the anniversary of Grams death - I really didn't see anything about the origins so I thought there might be something there. I guess it's just a coincidence. I'd really like to check out the burning man though...what a concept. And Gram Parsons really rocked my world.