Stereophonics, Manchester, 16/09/05

bluezman

Hi, here`s a quick review if the Stereophonics gig I went to. The venue was Manchester Evening News Arena, UK - aprox 19,000 capacity.

Support was from an up and coming UK band called The Dead 60`s. They mix a Clash type sound with some Ska beats and are all very good muscians and this showed in the short set (aprox 30 mins). They played through most of the debut album that is due out soon. these guys were brilliant from first note to last, no light show (they just had one colour on the whole set) and they let the music "do the talking". They may not suit eveyones taste but imho they were great and if you get chance check them out - www.thedead60s.com 9/10

Stereophonics - well this is the 6th time I`ve seen them and this was probably the "rockest"! They have stripped the sound back and gone for an overdriven rock sound. At first it sounded pretty good, then I realised something - all I could hear was guitar and vocals, the bass sort of rumbled along, the drums were hardly in the mix most of the time and the keys were only there when really needed. I`m pretty sure it was the seat I was in as it`s usualy a decent sound. However the light show was nothing short of amazing and they blasted through a strong set including - datkota, devil, more life in a tramps vest, local boy in a photograph, step on my old size 9`s, a thousand trees, the bartender and the thief, madam helga, superman etc apart from a slighty bad sound they were pretty much on top form and it was a great night... 9/10

• 2 weeks later...