Clint Eastwood

Mike

Clint Eastwood, better known as a cowboy and "Dirty Harry," also is a musician. In 1961, he cut a single called "Unknown Girl." Two more singles followed in the next three years and the release of an LP titled "Rawhide's Clint Eastwood Sings Cowboy Favourites," from the 60s TV series that brought him fame.

Eastwood also demonstrated his singing abilities in the musical picture Paint Your Wagon, and had a hit the "Burning Bridges," the soundtrack to Kelly's Heroes. He sang in several duets on his movie soundtracks, including "Barroom Buddies" with Merle Haggard, and on "Beers to you" with Ray Charles in Any Which Way You Can. He even showed up on a few country recordings, including TG Sheppard's "Make My Day" and Randy Travis' "Smokin' the Hive".

Themes from Unforgiven, A Perfect World, The Bridges of Madison County, and Absolute Power were all written by Clint Eastwood. And you can catch him plucking some vocal cords on the soundtrack of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, where he sings lead vocals on the Johnny Mercer song "Accentuate the Positive." He also composed the music for Space Cowboys and Mystic river, and songs in True Crime.

Who can forget Paint your wagon? ::

Remember what movie he played a DJ? That's right he played Dave Garver in his directorial debut "Play Misty for me".

~ Mike

I'm trying to think of a song my cousin played for me many years ago that Clint sang. I believe it was an album of another artist that featured duets with different people. Each song had someone different singing.

This song had to do with "smoking the hive", which I believe is in reference to the bee-keeping profession. They use the smoke to calm the bees down before they extract the honey from the hive. Honey as a metaphor? Gee that hasn't been done before!! Anyway, I belive this song was from the 80's or early 90's. Can anyone help me remember what this was?

• 4 months later...

The dearth of actor-competitors to Clint's musical skills has always been surprising. While his PAINT singing isn't great - nor has his other efforts - they're still there for all to listen. Yeah, maybe you're right - that's not saying much! ha ha

Like Woody Allen, however, he is one filmmaker that has taken a huge personal interest in his films' scores. And frankly, his tribute film BIRD is far and away the better realized effort compared to Woody's unpleasurable SWEET & LOWDOWN (I realize that everyone supposedly wants to be in a Woody Allen film, but jeepers, Sean - maybe you could have waited for a story where you weren't displayed as such an obvious technical dufus...your guitar mimickry would have been more realistic if you'd used your feet).

(With your shoes on.)

Anyway...I think the comparative lack of actors with a broad range of musical, dance and acting skills is because of the loss of the studio system where 'forced training' occurred. However, I wouldn't vote "for" the studio system based on its other terrible facets.