Brian Jones

Mike

I believe that Brian Jones should be credited with not only creating the Rolling Stones, but actually the catalyst that gave the Stones the foundation to even be anything at all after four and half decades.

Even greater the influence was Jones with the Stones than Barrett with Floyd.

Jones had the creativity, skill, talent, gifts, and all around charm and charism that enable Jagger and Richards to get launched and stay in the game to such a level and degree to succeed.

I have been reading alot about him, his influence on music in the Stones. His influence over-all.

Brian Jones is a legend!! I have a new found respect for him and is abilities.

I will have to think about this, Mike... I never felt attracted by him but I was aware that the music inspiration was very much Brian Jones. I was really impressed by Keith Richards since I heard "paint it Black" and saw his picture, but Brian seemed to be really far away. I´d love to know more about him. Can you suggest a book?

Brian Jones is rather intriguing. I have read a bit about him but I'm not totally sure about him either. Like Edna, I prefer Keith.

He certainly was the driving force behind the Stones to begin with. His role in the band was never clearly defined though, he was like a utility, moving from instrument to instrument.

It was sad that he couldn't keep it together because he was such a fantastically skilled musician.

Interesting stuff I've found out about Brian Jones

from various sources:

"Brian was first a first-time father at the age of 16. It is said that Brian consistently asked the mothers of his children that if the child was a boy, he be named Julian. Brian was an avid fan of Jazz great Julian "Cannonball" Adderley.

Though the 'facts' regarding the true lineage of other children have come into question, at least five (5) children are known to exist or have existed.

1959 (date?) - Simon (originally Barry David), son born to 14-year-old student Valerie (surname?). The baby would later be adopted.

1960 (Aug. 4) - unknown, daughter born to a married Cheltenham woman.

1961 (Oct. 22) - Julian Mark, son born to Pat Andrews.

1964 (Jul. 23) - Julian Brian, son born to Linda Lawrence.

1965 (Mar. 24) - John (Paul Andrew), son born to Dawn Molloy, later adopted."

Read the 2005 Dawn Molloy Interview here.

And links to more history in this thread about an upcoming movie.

I ve got to say, while I admire Jones, I'm with edna and Katie. I think he gets all the credit for the early stuff. He showed the guys what is possible both musically and lyrically. I do however think that Mick and Keith are the ones to get the credit for thier longevity. They learned, picked up the songwriting, and carried it well. Part of it though is just business sense, which Jones has not been around for. Music is an industry after all, and they are at the top of the game.

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with you, PinkFloyd, although I'm way late to enter this topic...forgive me. :P

He was always my favourite Stone and my secondfavourite musician, and he doesn't get the credit he deserves, in my opinion.

Now I'm waiting to see whether the film on him is going to be any good...

Edited by Guest

He always struck me as being a bit of a twat...as we would say in the UK. OK, he was not too bad on the guitar and he did seem to have some 'sound' references as far as musical tastes were concerned, but he really didn't create anything 'new' and was an egocentric 'arsehole' (anothe UK phrase) when it came to band politics....he thought he was Gods gift to music and women...the drugs and alcohol took their toll (fairly swiftly) and the smarter and more savvy intellects (Jagger and Richards) took over.

He was definitely a catalyst...but nothing more. He was 'right place, right time' but not a great genius....'catalyst' is absolutely the right word.

IMHO :coolio:

Anybody saw that Keith Richards interview on TV when he talked about Brian Jones and how naughty he could be in the last times? According to Keith, he was beating Anita Pallemberg who found some shelter with Keith... that didn´t help to fix his brain, nor the fact that they just told him to leave the band as there couldn´t be any possibility to work with him anymore, he was really out of this world... stoned 24 hours a day and deep into depression.

Edited by Guest

Brian Jones is--how can I call that? One of my personal heroes, musically at least, maybe also in other areas. I can't tell people often enough that he in fact was a great, and very very gifted musician and not only some drugged, egocentric guy. As keith Richards said, he was just not fit for the show business.

Actually , I think Andrew Oldham is the person most responsible for getting The Stones recognized and creating an image for them to work with. He managed them wonderfully ( in the early and most critical period , the beginning ) in terms of helping to make them a success , and was key to getting Keith and Mick writing their first songs . He is often overlooked in The Stones' story .

Thanks so much for that , Edna ! I 've learned something new today ! :bow: :thumbsup:

:laughing: I was sure Sammy was calling me a bad name from his post . ( like 'dork') ... and I still have a little suspicion that he was... :D

Now I get it ... Sammy is GIVING me a 'nanker' ( we don't have a proper graemlin for it I guess ) to show disagreement !

YEAAAAHHHHH!! Thanks, Seeker. And here's a little something just for you...one of my favorite Who tunes....

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"I've looked under chairs

I've looked under tables

I've tried to find the key

To fifty million fables

They call me The Seeker

I've been searching low and high

I won't get to get what I'm after

Till the day I die

I asked Bobby Dylan

I asked The Beatles

I asked Timothy Leary

But he couldn't help me either

They call me The Seeker

Till the day I die

People tend to hate me

'Cause I never smile

As I ransack their homes

They want to shake my hand

Focusing on nowhere

Investigating miles

I'm a seeker, I'm a really desperate man

Till the day I die

I learned how to raise my voice in anger

Yeah, but look at my face, ain't this a smile?

I'm happy when life's good

And when it's bad I cry

I've got values but I don't know how or why

I'm looking for me

You're looking for you

We're looking in at each other

And we don't know what to do

They call me The Seeker

Till the day I die"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: